Polyp bail out question, large pieces. Micromussa or Lord acan. Also with Austraphyllia. Can they be saved?

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experimenting with my lights lately and my nitrates have always been high. I'm not surprised that I'm having some issues. My question is how do you save these little pieces? Can you just leave them alone if they don't blow away, or how would you go about trying to salvage?
Is placing them on frag plugs and option?

Attachments

• 20230914_222530.mp4
    76 MB

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing them to frag plugs is likely not going to have a good success rate but certian;y worth the effort. You could place them in a cheap food storage container with an inch or so of sand to keep them from getting blown someplace they can't survive. The container should be deep enough currents won't blow them out. They should grow and attach to sand. Once they've attached to some sand glueing them to frag plugs has a better chance of success.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been experimenting with my lights lately and my nitrates have always been high. I'm not surprised that I'm having some issues. My question is how do you save these little pieces? Can you just leave them alone if they don't blow away, or how would you go about trying to salvage?
Is placing them on frag plugs and option?
generally when they abondon the skeleton, rarely do they recover or seek new home. This is often due to stress from:
Too much water flow
Elevated phosphate and nitrate
Too little light
lack of feeding
Fish in tank that nibble such coral

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back