PolypLab Pro Carbon...

pREEFERed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this product and read the instructions... employ for 1-2 days in a reef tank and repeat every 4 wks sounds a little off to me.

Although the granules do have a lot of surface area, I am used to using activated carbon for 3-4 weeks before I switch it out.

Has anyone had successful results using pro-carbon? if so, did you follow the directions exactly?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I've never used it but maybe a bump and a call to the #reefsquad will net you some answers. :)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I purchased this product and read the instructions... employ for 1-2 days in a reef tank and repeat every 4 wks sounds a little off to me.

Although the granules do have a lot of surface area, I am used to using activated carbon for 3-4 weeks before I switch it out.

Has anyone had successful results using pro-carbon? if so, did you follow the directions exactly?
Almost all carbon brands recommend a short run before switching out. Im sure it works great!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats #reefsquad? i reached out to polyp lab directly, but no response from them either

ReefSquad are a team of people who are just crazy enough to enjoy spending too much time on Reef2Reef, helping others where they can (it's a pretty diverse team!). The hashtag is how to call them to a thread. Hi!

I've sometimes read that carbon adsorbs most of what it's going to pull from the water within just a few days, and know that leaving it in full-time has on occasion caused some issues, especially if very fine particles of it get into the water column. (Looking at you, Head-&-Lateral-Line-Erosion . . . )

~Bruce

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not also used the Polylabs Pro Carbon. I tried to find the extensive directions, but could not. My suggestion is use the carbon like the previous brand. I use the carbon to polish my water. My question is what are you trying to accomplish with the carbon?

OP
OP
pREEFERed

pREEFERed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not also used the Polylabs Pro Carbon. I tried to find the extensive directions, but could not. My suggestion is use the carbon like the previous brand. I use the carbon to polish my water. My question is what are you trying to accomplish with the carbon?
Same thing as any other carbon really, remove impurities in the water, i just wanted to try a new product since I've had success with their coral food... I reached out to them directly as well, so I'm happy that we are on the same page [emoji2]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing as any other carbon really, remove impurities in the water, i just wanted to try a new product since I've had success with their coral food... I reached out to them directly as well, so I'm happy that we are on the same page [emoji2]
:D:D

OP
OP
pREEFERed

pREEFERed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a response from PolypLab (posted below), it took about 2 days which isn't bad. Their explanation makes sense as I'd rather not strip the water of the aminos and RS colors supplements I'm using, so I am employing the carbon for a few days (just did a water change) then removing. Thanks all who replied and happy reefing!

Hello Steve,

There is no detrimental effect using activated carbon at all time. Activted carbon is part of the trick for a succesfull reef aquarium.

By nature, activated carbon remove organic compounds from water. At Polyplab, we focus our approach on the global ecosystem of the tank. The bacterial aspect and amino-acids supplementation being second corner stone of our system after coral nutrition.

Promoting the use of activated carbon on a long period while using acids, fuel or colors would be a waste of these 3x products since carbon would suck it out of the tank. This is why we recommend using activated carbon only few days a month.

Ideally, activated carbon use with a ULNS or probiotics system should be done just before or after a water change. This will remove unwanted organic compunds, polish the water (better colors) and reduce smell that can be annoying. It is also require form removal of

Médication or when corals rage chemical wars [emoji51]

Of course, no need to buy bags of it and timely use of carbon dont require you to buy a lot. [emoji106]

Let me know if you have any additional question [emoji4]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back