Pom Pom Crabs eggs

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a couple of Pom Pom crabs in my tank. I dont see much of them. However I did notice the other day one of the crabs had a red blob of material underneath it. On further investigation I have come to the conclusion they are eggs.

These are my only crabs, I have a multitude of snails and only three fish, a pair of Mandarins and a Diamond Goby. Has anybody else had any experience with these animals in this situation. Do the eggs hatch and there will be lots of little crabs, is there a release of a nekton/ planktonic organisms, or will they all get sucked up by my filtration?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a couple of Pom Pom crabs in my tank. I dont see much of them. However I did notice the other day one of the crabs had a red blob of material underneath it. On further investigation I have come to the conclusion they are eggs.

These are my only crabs, I have a multitude of snails and only three fish, a pair of Mandarins and a Diamond Goby. Has anybody else had any experience with these animals in this situation. Do the eggs hatch and there will be lots of little crabs, is there a release of a nekton/ planktonic organisms, or will they all get sucked up by my filtration?

I've had my pom pom release eggs twice in my tank. They're tiny free-swimming larvae. Most of them do get sucked in by the filtration. A lot of them were snacked on by the clown and six-line wrasse. There's so many of them though that a few might make it to the rocks and substrate, but I haven't seen any make it to the juvenile stage.

OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my pom pom release eggs twice in my tank. They're tiny free-swimming larvae. Most of them do get sucked in by the filtration. A lot of them were snacked on by the clown and six-line wrasse. There's so many of them though that a few might make it to the rocks and substrate, but I haven't seen any make it to the juvenile stage.
Thats a shame, thanks for the reply

Julian

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you want to try and raise them, you would need to either be there to collect the free-swimming babies as soon as they hatch so that you can move them to another tank, or you would need to move the pregnant crab to a separate, pelagic-larvae-safe-tank just before the babies hatch so that they don't get eaten, skimmed out, filtered out, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back