Poopy eye, a bit of fin rot, and white spots at the end of the fins not in the body

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

How do you remedy a slight poppy eye, a bit of fin rot, and theirs small grains attached to the end of the fins but not in the body? What can I do? Currently in copper 2.5 ppm
IMG_0060.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg IMG_0058.jpeg IMG_0056.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

How do you remedy a slight poppy eye, a bit of fin rot, and theirs small grains attached to the end of the fins but not in the body? What can I do? Currently in copper 2.5 ppm
IMG_0060.jpeg
Really need clearer pics under brighter lighting but I can sort of see the eye which may have stemmed from an injury but to see a better view of eye and the tail at least looks like a result of aggression from another tank mate. What other fish are in tank with it as chasing may have resulted in eye injury

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

IMG_0060.jpeg

Popeye is pretty common in this species, as are swim bladder issues.

As far as the fins - are there any other fish in the tank?
The water appears a bit murky in your photos, how is it testing at?

jay

OP
OP
tech_reefer

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not really sure why the water is cloudy but I tested the water an ammonia is 0 and nitrite is also 0. I do a water change in the QT every 2 days. That's how his eye is currently, what can I treat his eye with?

Currently he is in the tank with a small purple Tang and two black storms.
IMG_0156.jpeg
IMG_0155.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure why the water is cloudy but I tested the water an ammonia is 0 and nitrite is also 0. I do a water change in the QT every 2 days. That's how his eye is currently, what can I treat his eye with?

Currently he is in the tank with a small purple Tang and two black storms.
IMG_0156.jpeg
IMG_0155.jpeg

Is the fish eating well?

Can you isolate this fish with a tank divider? I'm worried that somebody might be picking on it.

The common antibiotic to treat eye injuries with is Erythromycin (Maracyn 1). However, different species of bacteria can be involved in these cases, so that is not a sure thing.

If you dose erythromycin, you should monitor the ammonia level daily to ensure it does not harm the beneficial bacteria.

Jay

OP
OP
tech_reefer

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He does it well. But I think I know what’s going on I was able to snap these photos of him today. He’s busted eyes is better now but now I think he has flukes. I found these little white flatworm looking things on him. He just lays on the floor he eats.

How do you cure flukes? Freshwater dip? Is RODI ok?

@Jay Hemdal

IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have Neobenedenia flukes, this species gets them pretty commonly. FW dips control, but don't cure them of that. Also, handling the fish to give it the dip can cause eye damage.

Your two best bets for flukes control would either be Prazipro, dosed with good aeration, 3x, 8 days apart with water changes before the 2nd and 3rd treatments, OR hyposalinity, a specific gravity of 1.012 for 30 days.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back