Poor Man's Nutrients Control - Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that is the reason why my skimmer has been going so crazy. Lots of excess waste away bacteria in the system.

Khaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting DIY project!

Ok for No3 reducing, but About PO4 level/reducing what can you tell us?
I will say that i am still running phosguard and will be switching to GFO cause i still have phosphates in my system.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are keeping low phosphate, you must have phosphate removal method. I am using algae through (4" pipe 2' length cut into half). Harvested algae is fed to my tangs.

AbsoluteZer0273

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had undetectable Po4 in my tank, but nitrates never lower than 80 ppm. I started to dose phosphate and my nitrates started to come down. Probably from algae growth in my refugium. Before I started adding phosphate (very slowly) my algae wouldn’t grow. I want to build one of these because I like these kinds of diy projects, and anything that helps with nitrate removal and coral food sounds good to me!

AbsoluteZer0273

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AbsoluteZer0273

Longer chambers will allow higher flow, hence faster turn over for a bigger tank. Two separate units should be slightly more efficient. If I were you, a 6" diameter pipe at 36" high (for total length of 72") sound promising.
Thanks Donovan! I will try the bigger size. I know it is all about dwell time and building an oxygen free zone large enough to effectively remove the nitrate. 6” pipe will be hard to fit under or behind my stand, I might have to get creative!

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Donovan! I will try the bigger size. I know it is all about dwell time and building an oxygen free zone large enough to effectively remove the nitrate. 6” pipe will be hard to fit under or behind my stand, I might have to get creative!

So far we have high rise towers, nitrate eating boa, quad chambers and a few other creative design. It is good to know that you have the idea how it works, you can comes up with a design that fits your need. Good luck!

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. You broke the record having the carbon dosing cap at second chamber :D. But 5 days is too early to see any result.

Couple days after setting it up correctly N03 down to 5 ppm from 15 ppm. Very pleased with results. My fish are going to be very happy. They are going to get fed much more frequently!

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Donavan, why don’t you like to use the plastic bioballs?

Because it sounds so cheap :D

Seriously plastic bio ball doesn't have deep pores for denitrifying bacteria to thrive. You might end up with Donovan's Nitrate Multipliers instead. Plastic degradation is another factor I don't encourage it to be used.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zombie aussie Strawberry Shortcake acro comes back to life...

WP_20170617_20_25_42_Pro_e.jpg
On its best...

wp_ss_20180101_0001.png
Dead... Algae growing on it :(

WP_20180101_08_48_00_Pro.jpg
It's alive!!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back