Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid siporax in a denitrator - please see here and some pages forward

Sincerely Lasse
I don't have a problem with silicates. In fact, the Siporax has been there for over a year and my silicates were always absent on ICP. That is until I started dosing silicates to force a diatom bloom for a dino problem. It didn't work, I had over 12ppm of silcate for months and no diatoms. I stopped dosing and now my silicates are down to 10.7 with just normal water changes. The siporax is still in there. I am confident in saying it has no significant impact to the amount of silicate in my system.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The siporax is still in there. I am confident in saying it has no significant impact to the amount of silicate in my system.
It is a difference if you have your siporax in aerobic or anaerobic environment. It is also my experiences that siporex in aerobic environment (there is oxygen gas present) will not leak any silicates but in a denitrator ( like the one in this thread) the environment is anaerobic (no oxygen gas present) and in this case - it leaks a lot of silicates - see my ICP tests below

1713096971879.png

Sincerely Lasse

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a difference if you have your siporax in aerobic or anaerobic environment. It is also my experiences that siporex in aerobic environment (there is oxygen gas present) will not leak any silicates but in a denitrator ( like the one in this thread) the environment is anaerobic (no oxygen gas present) and in this case - it leaks a lot of silicates - see my ICP tests below

1713096971879.png

Sincerely Lasse
Interesting. I'll still give it a shot, but I'll put it in the beginning line-up. Thank you for clarifying this!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back