Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep checking your flow , if you smell rotten eggs increase the flow a little

Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH went up nicely by average 0.15 so far.
Didn’t change anything on the dosing.

BillH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, how many can say.........."Trickle Filter" and Carbon Dosing. Just different configuration. If it works for you and your happy then that is awesome. But to give someone specific setpoints for carbon dosing based on your setup is very dangerous in that you could be helping them to over dose and kill their fish. Not everyone should start at 5ml dosing rate. Anyone and Everyone reading this, please PLEASE PLEASE read up on organic carbon dosing before doing anything like this. For your livestock sake, life of your tank and your own headaches.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using PVC or ABS? You can probably throw some PVC glue or Transition Cement on the holes and the 1" union. I was able to seal the pipe on mine with multiple coats of transition cement.

I also like the idea of using bulkheads for the bottom connector (mainly because that's what I am used to working with). I know you aren't supposed to every use silicone when using on a tank but for this application, I am wondering if using silicone applied in a coiled bead (like a couple of layers so it would have full thickness to seal the curve space) would work since it's not under pressure. What do you guys think?

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The separation of aerobic and anaerobic zones happens internally, exactly where each zones start/end depends on oxygen depletion rate performed by aerobic bacteria. I don't know whether a single 18" tube will be long enough for aerobic bacteria to perform its work, consuming oxygen fast enough so that certain parts of the tube is receiving low oxygen water for denitrification to occur. It might happen if the flow is low enough without the worry of hydrogen sulfide issue.

So this is the same concept (with better media I think) as a sulfur denitrator only much faster so the sulfur doesn't have a chance to build up? I went so far as bought all the materials to build a sulfur reactor once but never did it.... couldn't get past the having to de-hiss it daily part. If using 4", how tall do you think it would need to be for just a single column?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, how many can say.........."Trickle Filter" and Carbon Dosing. Just different configuration. If it works for you and your happy then that is awesome. But to give someone specific setpoints for carbon dosing based on your setup is very dangerous in that you could be helping them to over dose and kill their fish. Not everyone should start at 5ml dosing rate. Anyone and Everyone reading this, please PLEASE PLEASE read up on organic carbon dosing before doing anything like this. For your livestock sake, life of your tank and your own headaches.

We all need reminders from time to time, he's been reminded to check and recheck no3,alkilinity, etc... through this thread.
Good reminder

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will do and report back in a week. What dosing amount and frequency, or does it matter much?

Just wanted to update that mine has been working for a bit now. Might even have to speed the flow up actually, as its getting a little bit of a sulfur smell. Effluent is at 0 though and tank water is not. Just need to tune in dosing amounts and freauency and water flow rate now which I guess will just be a trial and error thing. Guessing it will take weeks to months to really dial in that perfect dose to keep trates just where I want them.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing DIY.... so cool seeing how science and biochemistry can be applied to a tank system like this!

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work for smaller pipe diameter and shorter length.
My AIO has very small space and I have problem to install my Tunze 9004.
So only enough space for something smaller then the Tunze 9004

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work for smaller pipe diameter and shorter length.
My AIO has very small space and I have problem to install my Tunze 9004.
So only enough space for something smaller then the Tunze 9004
Probably have to make it remote.

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this thread some time ago, but decided to wait untill others were successfull with this device. In the interim I have been DIY an acrylic ATS with diy leds, which worked awsome for some time but it just did not work as maintenance free as I had hoped. So I will make a DND soon and have my eyes on the following materials:
- kintama bio balls
- marinepure (I have 1 block in the sump which I'll break into pieces)
- coral rubble (smash some rocks as I have no access to very course coral pieces in the Netherlands)
- siporax 25mm rings (just a layer on the bottom)

I'll give an update in the course of time. Sorry to hear Donovan passed away.. hopefully this will become an awsome device!

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the "maxspect bio-sphere" medium? It is rebranded taiwanese GAE filter medium; https://www.yoycart.com/Product/552030140940/
(GAE = global aquarium equipment)

I'll give this a shot.
daf5432dc3dafbcd7d98f149bd3f9ca5.jpg

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the idea of using bulkheads for the bottom connector (mainly because that's what I am used to working with). I know you aren't supposed to every use silicone when using on a tank but for this application, I am wondering if using silicone applied in a coiled bead (like a couple of layers so it would have full thickness to seal the curve space) would work since it's not under pressure. What do you guys think?

you would be better served to use the thickest wall pvc you can find and drill and tap the wall then you can thread your bulkhead into it.

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try it but be careful as many have found that to fine a media will clog.
Thank you. I will use this stuff in the second chamber. Unfortunately the poduct is not availble in the Netherlands at the moment I received a message I will need to be patient for a couple of months. I wondered if there any updates here about anyone using this device and I am curious which elements he added to his mix.. molybdate? iron citrate or maybe a strongly chelated iron (DTPA? EDDHA? or other chelating agent) manganese? I guess we will never know...

Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The devise is running flawless so far.
Couldn’t be happier!
Parameters are rock stable and it is maintenance free so far.
Just ordered a better pump and i’m about to build the second one for my second setup.
Any filter media will work as long as the volume is sufficient. I would always combine different types just to make sure.
I used everything that was left over like Eheim, Siporax plus chunky coral rock.

Thank you. I will use this stuff in the second chamber. Unfortunately the poduct is not availble in the Netherlands at the moment I received a message I will need to be patient for a couple of months. I wondered if there any updates here about anyone using this device and I am curious which elements he added to his mix.. molybdate? iron citrate or maybe a strongly chelated iron (DTPA? EDDHA? or other chelating agent) manganese? I guess we will never know...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back