Porcupine puffer ich

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 60 gallon fowlr tank and my new porcupine puffer has ich on his fins. I am unable to QT at this time as I am setting up a 120 gallon tank right now. I just started a 1/2 dose of cupramine as I heard puffers are sensitive to copper. I've been talked into using cupramine as people have said they had great results with it. Is it safe to use prime to combat ammonia build up if I shouldn't do water changes while treating? Should I be doing water changes during treatment? I am soaking his food in Kent xtreme garlic to help his immune system. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Yes you should do water changes as needed for ammonia. NO, don't use prime or any other ammonia reducer in conjunction with copper. It reacts dangerously and causes the copper to change to a more toxic form that will kill your puffer. Vitamin supplements such as Selcon or Vitachem will be more useful to your puffer than garlic. Garlic is only meant as an appetite stimulant, not a vitamin.

Be sure to test your copper daily. the live rock and sand in that tank will absorb copper causing the levels drop frequently at first. Later it will release copper into the water unpredictably. You will have to test (and maybe add copper) daily to be sure the levels stay consistent.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with above. Also, you must reach & maintain therapeutic levels (0.35 - 0.5 mg/L with Cupramine) for 30 days in order to fix this problem.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Yes I have a API liquid copper test. I will do water changes frequently then. I have selcon that I use on their food as well as the xtreme garlic.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Yes I have a API liquid copper test. I will do water changes frequently then. I have selcon that I use on their food as well as the xtreme garlic.

You're gonna have a hard time reading Cupramine using the API. Seachem or Salifert would be better.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went off of best reviews for my copper test kit. API has better reviews than the seachem.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1/2 dose last night.. should I add another 1/2 dose tonight? My test kit didn't read any copper. But like you said it's the API and the levels may not be quite .25 to get a reading? The test water is still clear..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1/2 dose last night.. should I add another 1/2 dose tonight? My test kit didn't read any copper. But like you said it's the API and the levels may not be quite .25 to get a reading? The test water is still clear..

Your rock has absorbed most of the copper, which is why you aren't seeing a reading. Go ahead and do the other 1/2 dose, but don't add anymore than that until you have the Seachem test kit in hand.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's says too remove carbon from the filter also. But someone told me to keep it in ?? I run a fluval 306 canister filter so it has 2 bags of carbon in it. ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's says too remove carbon from the filter also. But someone told me to keep it in ?? I run a fluval 306 canister filter so it has 2 bags of carbon in it. ?

You have to remove the carbon. It will also absorb the copper.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Yes you should do water changes as needed for ammonia. NO, don't use prime or any other ammonia reducer in conjunction with copper. It reacts dangerously and causes the copper to change to a more toxic form that will kill your puffer. Vitamin supplements such as Selcon or Vitachem will be more useful to your puffer than garlic. Garlic is only meant as an appetite stimulant, not a vitamin.

Be sure to test your copper daily. the live rock and sand in that tank will absorb copper causing the levels drop frequently at first. Later it will release copper into the water unpredictably. You will have to test (and maybe add copper) daily to be sure the levels stay consistent.

100% agree

^^ Agree with above. Also, you must reach & maintain therapeutic levels (0.35 - 0.5 mg/L with Cupramine) for 30 days in order to fix this problem.

100% agree again

Your rock has absorbed most of the copper, which is why you aren't seeing a reading. Go ahead and do the other 1/2 dose, but don't add anymore than that until you have the Seachem test kit in hand.

100% agree again

Remove the carbon, it removes medication.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on a forum that seachem's stability can help with ammonia build up during cupramine treatment? I have to do lots of water changes with this puffer.. and with water changes during cupramine treatment it means adding more and chasing the correct level.. ?

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my big 120 that I will be moving them too in the future which will be easier. Once it cycles of course and I get rid of the ich. I'm basically using my 60 now for their QT

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on a forum that seachem's stability can help with ammonia build up during cupramine treatment? I have to do lots of water changes with this puffer.. and with water changes during cupramine treatment it means adding more and chasing the correct level.. ?

Yes, it can but it takes time for it to start working. You have to be sure that you are dosing the new water with copper before adding it to the QT. The idea is to always have the same level of copper and not to let it drop at all.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about my protein skimmer. Can I run that very dry?

My understanding is that a protein skimmer won't work very well in hypo conditions. You don't want to run the skimmer when dosing medications though.... at least most meds.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back