Porcupine pufferfish question!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2022
Messages
7,146
Reaction score
10,451
Location
Easton
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To those of you who have puffers or experience keeping them. How long after you got it did it take them to eat? And were they obsessed with chasing and looking at their reflection? I’m going to get some colored contact paper or vinyl to get rid of the shadow and hopefully stop the little guy from staring and chasing his reflection. I know he could still be getting used to the tank too…I’ve only had him for three days. One other question do they eat live mysis shrimp or do you think my little guy may enjoy them?
 
Get him some fresh clams, chopped and fed on the 1/2 shell. I’m pretty sure that it will eat the shell too?

Most importantly; have a straight talk with your fish. Tell it that you rescued it from the people at the lfs who pulled it out of the sea. You plan on providing an ever home and you hope that your fish will forgive the people that pulled it from the wild.
Let the fish know that you are not planning on eating it for dinner, but are only concerned for it’s well being and comfort. Also, it’s in qt, but the DT is much bigger and it will have other fish to be with once it has been treated for parasites, cavities, and bloating issues should they occur. Tell the fish that you love it and plan on feeding it good food going forward.

The fish will listen and if you follow through it will learn to trust you and relax in the new home, unless it is unable to adapt to fish tank life, but let it know that is not a good option, please thrive.

I have never had a fish not thrive once it decided too. Talk about it today. If the fish spits water after you are done, then feed it and remember; It’s a puffer. It may want a smoke?
 
You have to figure there is always an acclimation to captive living, so yeah the reflection thing is going to throw him. Porcs sometimes, maybe even many times, need live food to get an initial feeding response, I recommend live ghost shrimp. Once they get started they usually will take a variety of meaty foods. It's important to him eating right away to make sure they are healthy, puffers many times come in with internal parasites, and not eating is an indicator.
 
You have to figure there is always an acclimation to captive living, so yeah the reflection thing is going to throw him. Porcs sometimes, maybe even many times, need live food to get an initial feeding response, I recommend live ghost shrimp. Once they get started they usually will take a variety of meaty foods. It's important to him eating right away to make sure they are healthy, puffers many times come in with internal parasites, and not eating is an indicator.
Problem solved! He’s swimming in the front now and all over the tank! :star-struck:
45A7582D-35BE-4510-9C76-53C6D357A516.jpeg
 
Get him some fresh clams, chopped and fed on the 1/2 shell. I’m pretty sure that it will eat the shell too?

Most importantly; have a straight talk with your fish. Tell it that you rescued it from the people at the lfs who pulled it out of the sea. You plan on providing an ever home and you hope that your fish will forgive the people that pulled it from the wild.
Let the fish know that you are not planning on eating it for dinner, but are only concerned for it’s well being and comfort. Also, it’s in qt, but the DT is much bigger and it will have other fish to be with once it has been treated for parasites, cavities, and bloating issues should they occur. Tell the fish that you love it and plan on feeding it good food going forward.

The fish will listen and if you follow through it will learn to trust you and relax in the new home, unless it is unable to adapt to fish tank life, but let it know that is not a good option, please thrive.

I have never had a fish not thrive once it decided too. Talk about it today. If the fish spits water after you are done, then feed it and remember; It’s a puffer. It may want a smoke?
I got him to eat a live crab! Woohoo!
5C1FBEDC-8338-4844-B68E-A66CE03AC0CC.jpeg
 
So I broke the crab up. I will try other crabs in the future too like from the grocery store because he ate the parts I ripped up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new