Porites color fading

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maho.B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Maho.B

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2024
Messages
397
Reaction score
212
Location
Minnetonka, MN.
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, does anyone have experience with Darth Maul Porites? I have had one for about 5 months and has looked super healthy, bright vivid red/dark pink with fret PE. Recently, over the last month I've been slowly raising phosphate and Nitrate levels (they were always notoriously low) and all corals look great except the Darth Maul Porites color has faded a bit and does not have as good of PE it has in the past. For nutrient context, 60 days ago my phosphate was .02 and Nitrates were 1.3 and over the course of the 60 days, phosphate is now .12 and Nitrate is 5.9. is it possible the Porites doesn't like it or Just coincidental and something else is bothering it? It hasn't been moved, the flow is the same and the lighting has not changed. Anyone with experience with this coral? Thanks.
 
Not much help probably. The only porites I have is a grinch. It is doing very well in a tank with NO3 2.3 and PO4 0.06 last test.
One thing I'll mention just to mention. I'm always very hesitant to make any changes because of a single coral that isn't doing well while everything else is doing good. More than once I've had a piece doing very poor in one tank and I move it to a different tank and it thrives. Some coral just do poorly in some tanks but I have no idea why that is.
 
Not much help probably. The only porites I have is a grinch. It is doing very well in a tank with NO3 2.3 and PO4 0.06 last test.
One thing I'll mention just to mention. I'm always very hesitant to make any changes because of a single coral that isn't doing well while everything else is doing good. More than once I've had a piece doing very poor in one tank and I move it to a different tank and it thrives. Some coral just do poorly in some tanks but I have no idea why that is.
Thanks I appreciate the input. I agree, with everything else doing well I likely won't change anything. It's a really cool coral, hopefully it hangs on! Thanks again.
 
Mine had a time period where it was fading and I swore it was on it's way out. I did start dosing with a pump to improve stability, and it eventually turned a corner. So hopefully yours will too.
 

Attachments

  • 20240923_142802.jpg
    20240923_142802.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20240924_001421.jpg
    20240924_001421.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20250123_165549.jpg
    20250123_165549.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 51
Glad yours came back, mine did as well. It has actually gotten very bright in color and is encrusting on the live rock now too! I have no idea what made it turn around, I let my phosphate and nitrate creep up (they were pretty low) just a little to see if that had anything to do with it. Whether that was it or not, it's a happy coral now!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new