Porities vs Pocillipora?

A Toadstool Leather

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2017
Messages
911
Reaction score
637
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pocilipora recently, but how do I tell the difference between them and porties corals? They look exactly the same to me. Also are pocillipora tips supposed to be white like acro tips?
 
Some of our #SPSexperts should be able to help. #reefsquad
 
Pocillipora have very long stalk like polyps covering them completely, almost always out. Porites comes in a couple of types, encrusting, mounding, branching. None have really long extended polyps to my knowledge, more like a monti.
Ok thanks. Do pocillopora only bail out due to stress? Im worried if I mess up that they will get everywhere.
 
I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that question. After seeing a few tanks destroyed by Pocci's I don't buy them anymore.
I will just sell the poccis that spread if it happens. Thankfully I have an lfs nearby that would not mind.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new