possible clownfish parasite?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post about this earlier and decided to revisit it:

This is my first run-in with a possible parasite, but I am unsure if I should treat it. I have had my clownfish for a little over 2 months now and they both have been acting completely fine. They were aquacultured and tank raised as well. They are eating until full, exploring the whole tank, and even mating dances and behavior, and sleeping at night. Every sign points to a healthy clownfish except for the poop.

There are no white spots or damages to either fish but my male clownfish has a really fat stomach and the other day had a long light-colored poop. The poop was one solid turd but it was long and it was a lighter color which made me worry because of the "white stringy poop". This also happened during my first week of having them the male had a long solid lighter colored poop. And no behavioral changes but still long white poop after 2 months.

Here is a video from today:

I feed frozen brine shrimp once a day which might be a possibility for it because they are less nutritious than mysis shrimp or pellets but its what I have so I've been consistent with it. Again all 3 fish eat normally

The female is completely fine and has normal healthy poops as well as my goby so as far as it seems the supposed parasite is only affecting one of my fish.

I am worried about treating as I have a small tank and no QT to treat in and don't want to send everything out of wack when I don't have to. But then again I do not want to neglect the issue if it truly is causing harm.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I made a post about this earlier and decided to revisit it:

This is my first run-in with a possible parasite, but I am unsure if I should treat it. I have had my clownfish for a little over 2 months now and they both have been acting completely fine. They were aquacultured and tank raised as well. They are eating until full, exploring the whole tank, and even mating dances and behavior, and sleeping at night. Every sign points to a healthy clownfish except for the poop.

There are no white spots or damages to either fish but my male clownfish has a really fat stomach and the other day had a long light-colored poop. The poop was one solid turd but it was long and it was a lighter color which made me worry because of the "white stringy poop". This also happened during my first week of having them the male had a long solid lighter colored poop. And no behavioral changes but still long white poop after 2 months.

Here is a video from today:

I feed frozen brine shrimp once a day which might be a possibility for it because they are less nutritious than mysis shrimp or pellets but its what I have so I've been consistent with it. Again all 3 fish eat normally

The female is completely fine and has normal healthy poops as well as my goby so as far as it seems the supposed parasite is only affecting one of my fish.

I am worried about treating as I have a small tank and no QT to treat in and don't want to send everything out of wack when I don't have to. But then again I do not want to neglect the issue if it truly is causing harm.
Often what you see is not an internal issue and based on activity, body mass and no loss of weight or pinched belly suggests its due to excess mucus in the stomach lining and mimics an internal issue. Simply change up the foods adding to diet. . . . . TDO pellets, LRS fish frenzy, small plankton and formula 1 flakes. You will see a change in feces color and consistency as well and an increase in nutrition which is never a bad thing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, I don't see any indication of internal protozoans here. The fish looks great, just a bit "over conditioned" (fat) and it is probably just producing those feces due to its diet.

You can try feeding brine shrimp as the sole diet for a few days and see if that changes things.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back