Possible Dino??

Endgame_HS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , I have a 135g tank only 4 months old I would guess.. 2 clowns and 3 dispar anthias all doing well.

I had my LFS doing my maintenance and after a water change I noticed some brown stringy algae with tiny bubble tops. I googled and it looks like that Dino crap.. it’s only on the tops of rocks now and not in the sand yet.. what would be the best way to knock this out quick before it spreads..

I’ve heard tap water kills it instantly.. how bad would it be to pull out the 3-4 rocks that I see it on and just dunk the top portion in tap water for a mintute? Then rinse off with some RO and out back in ?

All readings on water were perfect when they came.. I have cheaper lighting , could that play a role? They are Chinese black box LEDs, I’ve prolly played around with them to much with color variances over the last few days to.

Posted a pic but it’s noy the best.

2AC7596A-4F38-4518-9B24-46C224B45BD6.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos to me.

I know there are some chemicals out now which supposedly will kill it, but I always preferred to do it the natural way via light deprivation.

If you go 3 day lights out, once a month, every month... eventually it will go away. I like to put black garbage bags all around the tank to keep out even ambient light.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks started with Dryrock is susceptible to dino outbreaks, lack of microfauna and natural competition for nutrients! I had the same stuff growing in my tank this week. It was snotty so could have been dinos. when I tested my phosphates to my surprise they where 0 (with a bunch of algae growth). I cranked the flow to my UV and used a baster and blew the algae into the water colum and turned of the skimmer for the night. I have not seen any new snotty stuff grow back the following 2 days and phosphates are back around 0.03. I left the blinds next to the tank open so the back of the corals could receive some needed light but this just encouraged sand bed algaes and possibly dinos. I would not panic especially since your LR looks pretty good.. Just test your nutrients and if its close to undetectable get the tank dirty and monitor the nutrients. good luck

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back