Dino population collapsed overnight?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangest thing, my dino problems seem to more or less have vanished overnight, note entirely sure how.

I've been having problems with dinos in my 25G reef, confirmed prorocentrum dinoflagellates. Both Nitrate and Phosphate readings have been 0, and it's been a struggle tying to bump up the nutrients enough so the corals don't starve. My clove polyps are extremely effective at soaking up any and all excess nutrients in the system.

So here's what happened. I was having a dilemma on manual removal of dinos, since water changes are usually the last thing you want to do during an outbreak. I got the bright idea of using water from my 15G skimmerless reef, which has detectable nutrients, so i went ahead and vacuumed out the largest dino mats, and poured in the water from the other tank.

The next day I was fully expecting to see orange carpets creeping back, like every time before when I've attempted manual removal. But to my surprise there were almost no dino mats to be seen. Even the missed patches had receeded and were virtually non-existant. And for the past 2-3 days the sandbed has been practically completely white. There's no sign of it coming back, and the stragglers seem to be fading away by the day.

I was made to understand that beating dinos was a long fight, requiring a lot patience, so what happened here? Why did a quick vacuum and water change with old water, knock the fight out of them?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have to do with their reproductive strategy. Removing the hoards took the f (fight) out of them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back