Dino population collapsed overnight?

Alexraptor

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
634
Reaction score
1,262
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangest thing, my dino problems seem to more or less have vanished overnight, note entirely sure how.

I've been having problems with dinos in my 25G reef, confirmed prorocentrum dinoflagellates. Both Nitrate and Phosphate readings have been 0, and it's been a struggle tying to bump up the nutrients enough so the corals don't starve. My clove polyps are extremely effective at soaking up any and all excess nutrients in the system.

So here's what happened. I was having a dilemma on manual removal of dinos, since water changes are usually the last thing you want to do during an outbreak. I got the bright idea of using water from my 15G skimmerless reef, which has detectable nutrients, so i went ahead and vacuumed out the largest dino mats, and poured in the water from the other tank.

The next day I was fully expecting to see orange carpets creeping back, like every time before when I've attempted manual removal. But to my surprise there were almost no dino mats to be seen. Even the missed patches had receeded and were virtually non-existant. And for the past 2-3 days the sandbed has been practically completely white. There's no sign of it coming back, and the stragglers seem to be fading away by the day.

I was made to understand that beating dinos was a long fight, requiring a lot patience, so what happened here? Why did a quick vacuum and water change with old water, knock the fight out of them?
 
Must have to do with their reproductive strategy. Removing the hoards took the f (fight) out of them?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new