Possible Dinos?

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after maybe a month to a month and a half ago I had a diatoms bloom I started seeing some weird stuff growing on my rocks. I didn't think much of it until maybe a week ago when I started seeing stringy bubbles. The bubbles were slowly being released into the tank and just popping once hitting the waterline. I was informed that could be Dino and I looked at some photos and it looked pretty similar. So I covered the tank for 72hrs and I just uncovered it to see there was still weird algae on the rocks.

Here are the photos and videos:

IMG_5034[1].JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

OP
OP
B

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dinos. Most likely diatoms. The rocks are too clean.

It already had diatoms which then turned into the weird stringy bubble stuff. I did a blackout for 72hrs and the photos are of the outcome of the blackout. Diatoms can have stringy bubbles?

Your tank is going there the uglies
So this isn’t Dino just beginner gross stuff?

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos usually look like stringy snot with bubbles. Maybe my vision is not so great though, and someone who has a lot more experience can chime in.

OP
OP
B

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos usually look like stringy snot with bubbles. Maybe my vision is not so great though, and someone who has a lot more experience can chime in.

Yeah that’s what I had before the blackout but I’m curious if the photos are still them just not fully gone or not.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can test initially for dinos using the paper towel test. Siphon some of the brown threads into a cupful of tank water. Stir the water up until the threads are dissolved. Pour the water into a clear glass through a paper towel and leave in the light. Dinos at 10 microns will go through the paper towel and reassemble themselves into a strand again after about an hour. Also are you testing for Nitrates and Phosphates. do not let those hit zero. You pictures do not look like dinoflagellates to me but without a microscope it is still a guess and if it is dinos you still need a microscope to identify which genus it is because you use different treatments based on which type. There are already very large threads in this forum specific to dinos.

OP
OP
B

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can test initially for dinos using the paper towel test. Siphon some of the brown threads into a cupful of tank water. Stir the water up until the threads are dissolved. Pour the water into a clear glass through a paper towel and leave in the light. Dinos at 10 microns will go through the paper towel and reassemble themselves into a strand again after about an hour. Also are you testing for Nitrates and Phosphates. do not let those hit zero. You pictures do not look like dinoflagellates to me but without a microscope it is still a guess and if it is dinos you still need a microscope to identify which genus it is because you use different treatments based on which type. There are already very large threads in this forum specific to dinos.

Do I leave it in sunlight or the tanks LEDs light? The strands in the medicine small cup I'm using aren't dissolving fully, do they have to be completely gone?

OP
OP
B

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay well I sucked up some of the algae and stirred it the best I could, then poured it onto a paper towel into a medicine cup (those small ones you get for liquid meds for kids). The water that didn't get sucked up by the towel dripped into the cup and I left it sitting under my LED lights for an hour. I didn't see anything in the water so I tried leaving it outside in direct sunlight for an hour too. Both times I didn't see anything in the water, so I am guessing it's not dinos. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back