Possible ich?

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Spotted a small dot on one of my clowns, have yet to deal with ich. I've had my clown for almost 2 years now.. i know the picture isn't too clear but can it possibly be ich? Not sure what to look for in ich.. Anything helps please and thank you!

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20221208-193141_Gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As they often get sand on themselves, I suspect it is sand. While it can occur, rarely does ich start as one dot. Wait until morning and either it will be gone or have multiplied in which you will then know how to proceed.
Ich generally has appearance of someone sprinkling fish with a saly shaker

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Spotted a small dot on one of my clowns, have yet to deal with ich. I've had my clown for almost 2 years now.. i know the picture isn't too clear but can it possibly be ich? Not sure what to look for in ich.. Anything helps please and thank you!

I can see a vague spot on the back black stripe near the tail. That seems too large to be ich. Have you added any fish or other animals to the tank recently?

Ich will look like little grains of slat on the body and fins. They will come and go at first, changing location day to day. Eventually, the number will increase and there will be spots all the time, in huge numbers. Then the fish will die (typically 4 to 14 days). You'll have some time to watch this before you need to act.

Jay

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they often get sand on themselves, I suspect it is sand. While it can occur, rarely does ich start as one dot. Wait until morning and either it will be gone or have multiplied in which you will then know how to proceed.
Ich generally has appearance of someone sprinkling fish with a saly shaker
It doesn't look like salt or sand but im currently checking the clown out right now and its still in the same spot and no other noticeable ones elsewhere

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see a vague spot on the back black stripe near the tail. That seems too large to be ich. Have you added any fish or other animals to the tank recently?

Ich will look like little grains of slat on the body and fins. They will come and go at first, changing location day to day. Eventually, the number will increase and there will be spots all the time, in huge numbers. Then the fish will die (typically 4 to 14 days). You'll have some time to watch this before you need to act.

Jay
So the last fish i put in was a head stripe goby but that was about 3 months ago.. i am noticing 2 dots on my other clown now but it can barely be seen on camera, its being covered by his fins

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the last fish i put in was a head stripe goby but that was about 3 months ago.. i am noticing 2 dots on my other clown now but it can barely be seen on camera, its being covered by his fins
It could be ich, but I can’t see it in the photos - if you have a tank you can set up for treatment, you could do that now while you continue to observe the spots as I mentioned.
Jay

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be ich, but I can’t see it in the photos - if you have a tank you can set up for treatment, you could do that now while you continue to observe the spots as I mentioned.
Jay
So the one i originally did the post for doesn't have that speck anymore, but the other clown now only has one but in the same spot.. if its ich, would it be changing positions daily? Or just more come to show? I currently have both in a separate tank just for caution

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the one i originally did the post for doesn't have that speck anymore, but the other clown now only has one but in the same spot.. if its ich, would it be changing positions daily? Or just more come to show? I currently have both in a separate tank just for caution

Yes - with ich, early on, a few spots will come and go, and may go away entirely for a day or so, but most often, they return in different locations and in ever-increasing numbers.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back