Possible to change DE fixture to SE?

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my reef in 2004 with double ended metal halide fixtures. DE bulbs are getting very hard to find so I'm wondering if there's a way to convert the fixture from double ended to single ended/mogul base as those bulbs are more available. Is this something that's possible?

Still using the original PFO's with Ice Cap HQI ballasts, also original. I've thought about buying new fixtures but assume I'd also need new ballasts and with metal halide getting harder to get I'd rather keep what I have until it fails. I'll change to LED when I have to.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Champion and coralvue both have de bulbs in stock. What ballast do you have now? if it’s 250 or 400 you can convert it They don’t really make 150 se reef bulbs

OP
OP
MickeyCT

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually checked those places. Champion only has the SPS 250watt bulbs for $15 and I've read some bad things about those. Coralvue does not, at least they didn't when I looked and also just now.

I have the old Ice Cap 250 watt HQI ballasts.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To convert all you need to do is mount a mogul socket to the fixture using correct guage wire for bulb wattage. I would try to imitate the fixture(forgot the name) that allows the base to slide in/out; that way you can center the arc tube in the reflector

OP
OP
MickeyCT

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have jinxed everything. The fixture that's been giving me trouble every time I change bulbs, is now not lighting at all. Bulb is flickering. I switched two ballasts and the ballast lights fine so it must be the bulb. BUT one end of the bulb comes out fine but the other one is stuck fast and I can't get it out! Grrr.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back