Possible uronema… what next?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my flameback angelfish has succumbed to what appears to uronema. I’ve attached pictures for assurance that uronema is what killed it and not something else. The fish was removed from the display and into a QT but still didn’t make it. I’m scheduled to receive a group of ignitus anthias on Wednesday, and since they are such a uronema-prone fish I want to make sure that they are not adversely affected by this when they’re added after their QT. There are currently four other fish in the display that are showing zero symptoms (including clowns, which are also allegedly uronema magnets)

Edit: adding more info about the display and situation: 55 gallon with mostly LPS. The fish showed a small wound on Friday that rapidly progressed to what it looks like in the pictures.

IMG_2068.jpeg IMG_2065.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like Uronema.

Common wisdom is that internal Uronema comes in with the fish and is not highly contagious from fish to fish - it is found free living in many/most aquariums.
Chloroquine works well to kill free living Uronema if you want to go that route, but your new anthias may already be carriers of the internal form.
Jay

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like Uronema.

Common wisdom is that internal Uronema comes in with the fish and is not highly contagious from fish to fish - it is found free living in many/most aquariums.
Chloroquine works well to kill free living Uronema if you want to go that route, but your new anthias may already be carriers of the internal form.
Jay
Thank you for the reply! Good to know it’s not highly contagious. Fingers crossed the anthias come in clean!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you haven't seen it, here is an article I wrote about Uronema:

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken healthy fish and found Uronema marinum (Uronema) alive and 'well.' It is a fact from my work, that a fish can live a long life in an aquarium with Uronema marinum.

The best that can be done is to make sure the fish in the aquarium are in the best water quality, not stressed, and well/properly fed. Some feeding recommendations are given in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back