Possible uronema

apexseeking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read through a bunch of posts but I’m still not sure what to do. All of the reading was in the event that something goes wrong. But now I’m here with a possible issue.
66406B7D-1A45-4787-8356-2D1A5EA6C14D.jpeg

i haven’t dealt with uronema before so I’m not we’ll versed on how to handle this.

I got a dozen chromis late last week and put them into qt. I’ve slowly raised the copper power levels up to 2.35 and noticed a spot yesterday. Today it’s gotten worse.

how should I proceed with him and the rest of the fish? I’m open to suggestions but my access to medications is limited today as the reputable lfs are closed today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve read through a bunch of posts but I’m still not sure what to do. All of the reading was in the event that something goes wrong. But now I’m here with a possible issue.
66406B7D-1A45-4787-8356-2D1A5EA6C14D.jpeg

i haven’t dealt with uronema before so I’m not we’ll versed on how to handle this.

I got a dozen chromis late last week and put them into qt. I’ve slowly raised the copper power levels up to 2.35 and noticed a spot yesterday. Today it’s gotten worse.

how should I proceed with him and the rest of the fish? I’m open to suggestions but my access to medications is limited today as the reputable lfs are closed today.
uronema it is . There is no fallow treatment for uronema and must be treated quickly. Typical treatment is starting with a formalin based bath for 45 minutes using Quick cure. If no quick cure, ruby rally pro will work but will take longer. After bath, place in fresh quarantine and treat with the same until the red sores are eliminated abnd fish is healed.
Add aeration during treatment. If fish is eating, you can add seachem metroplex to the foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What’s the best way to precede. Should the fish be separated? Is the likleyhood of loosing the whole school good?
You Can separate however keep close eye on rest who may yet get it or as a prevention, you can treat all. Should not infect other fish other than damsels who can get it also

OP
OP
A

apexseeking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any new recommendations on how to treat the rest of the fish? I’ve seen a lot of contradicting info out there.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an article on it by Jay Hemdal (see belwo this paragraph) - to summarize: it seems there’s not really a good treatment for it, as some of the protozoa that cause it enter cells in the fish, so the medications can’t reach all of them. That said, treatments might be effective, but there’s a high rate of reinfection. His advice is really just to try and prevent it - apparently it doesn’t spread aggressively, but, as was mentioned, keep an eye on your other fish (Jay mentions in the article that he’s only seen it in six families of fish, so it shouldn’t hit everything in your tank).

From what I’ve heard (I wish I could remember the source right now), by the time the red mark starts showing, there’s a very real chance your fish will die. I hope Vetteguy’s advice helps your fish. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

apexseeking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Here’s to hoping to the rest make it. I would hate to loose the whole school.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me. All the fish succumbed. So I had to sanitize the tank and try again with. A new batch from another store

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Here’s to hoping to the rest make it. I would hate to loose the whole school.
Yep, that’s Uronema, sorry.
With groups of green chromis I’ve lost anywhere from one to all of them. It isn’t contagious per-se, the fish seem to harbor it before you get them.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back