Possibly Going Insane.....

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all!!

I may be losing my mind completely, but, I thought I'd run it by you guys first. I currently have an 120 gallon tank, with a porcupine puffer in it and a recent impulse buy, a blonde naso tang. I definitely knew that they get big, but it was sort of, maybe, possibly, definitely, impulsive (lol), and I figured that for now, she'd be okay in my 120. Which is true. But, I realized I need to think down the road a little bit more and hold my promise to my little naso tang, and give her the life I promised when I took her home, therefore, I do have to think about upgrading in the future. I was thinking about going 100 gallons larger, and getting a 220 gallon tank.

Now, I'm not really sure what getting a 220 gallon tank means for me financially. The 120 gallon costs are fairly reasonable for me personally right now, but I'm not sure what else a 220 entails. If anyone feels comfortable, and only if you do feel comfortable sharing, I was wondering what upgrading means for my wallet....

I heard an average of around $4,500, but I'm not sure if this is accurate. Now trust me, I do know this varies depending on a lot of different factors, but what are your thoughts on this??

Thanks so much in advance!! :)

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my 300 roughly 3 years back, and IIRC, tank and stand were around 5500. I would think 4500 should cover a 220 unless prices have shot up in three years.

The price jump from 6 to 8' when I got mine was significant but the Naso would appreciate those two extra feet.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent $20K on my 300G and I bought most of the stuff used. Lighting was the most expensive piece. Then it’s filtration including skimmer and refugium with lights and extra pumps. Then fish and coral are not cheap neither.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input. I compiled a list of the major things I will need (tank, stand, lights, wave pumps, sand, salt, rock, sump) and I got an estimate of around $5,000. Not sure if that sounds right, but I spent around $3,500 on the entire cost of my current 120. So, that sounds accurate to me, but what do you think??

Here are the screenshots of the items that I’m thinking of purchasing (again, these are just ballpark ideas) Take a look and let me know how this looks.... this doesn’t include sand, salt, rock, and the tank for the sump (I’m doing a DIY sump)

BFE053A1-117C-459F-AA6C-C79B8F7BD6CD.png
A142376F-B6DF-45FE-ABCD-8D70E58D50A7.png
08315290-B160-4581-A69B-D1DAAA363173.png
EEA4096B-A755-4A59-9FB6-4EE874A97F9E.png
3338A945-1F60-47EA-AA5F-6F72E01F5DFA.png

U

User1

View Badges
Do your homework first before you buy Marineland tanks of that size. Just some friendly advise.

You can get a 220 for under that but you will need to shop around. I had a custom 210 made and my price out the door was 2300. I'd recommend sending out a few request for quotes and see what comes back. You may be surprised

My personal recommendation would be to re-home the fish. It will save you money in the long term while allowing you ample time to plan your upgrade. Upgrades require, in some cases, new equipment. Larger return pumps, two return pumps (redundant), larger skimmer, sump, more water, higher output ri/ro unit, more salt, and of course lighting.

I'm not here to judge or be tang police so please don't think that. I was just looking at the need to upgrade around a fish, possible timeline, and how that might pressure/stress you out. I've never personally owned a Naso but I did own a Lt. Tang. I bought it from LA/DD and it was maybe 3" at best when I got it. This was in my 210. It was 8" before I lost it for some unknown reason. Grew very fast. Always moving. Used every inch of my tank. Peaceful fish. Just wasn't aware of how fast they can grow. Size and girth.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your homework first before you buy Marineland tanks of that size. Just some friendly advise.

You can get a 220 for under that but you will need to shop around. I had a custom 210 made and my price out the door was 2300. I'd recommend sending out a few request for quotes and see what comes back. You may be surprised

My personal recommendation would be to re-home the fish. It will save you money in the long term while allowing you ample time to plan your upgrade. Upgrades require, in some cases, new equipment. Larger return pumps, two return pumps (redundant), larger skimmer, sump, more water, higher output ri/ro unit, more salt, and of course lighting.

I'm not here to judge or be tang police so please don't think that. I was just looking at the need to upgrade around a fish, possible timeline, and how that might pressure/stress you out. I've never personally owned a Naso but I did own a Lt. Tang. I bought it from LA/DD and it was maybe 3" at best when I got it. This was in my 210. It was 8" before I lost it for some unknown reason. Grew very fast. Always moving. Used every inch of my tank. Peaceful fish. Just wasn't aware of how fast they can grow. Size and girth.

Best of luck!

Thank you. I appreciate your kindness and your input. This is what I was scared of when I bought this fish. The person at the pet store told me that he has one in a 125 and she’s doing well. After we purchased the tang, a friend of mine who has a 120 gallon tank, like me, told us that the fish grew rapidly and died quickly due to stress. It was half an impulse buy, and half not, because the people at the pet store told us that she’d be fine, and I sorta regret it now... I definitely do want to upgrade in the future for other fish I have on my wish list, although the naso tang might be beyond my limits. I don’t want to re-home her, although I don’t want to put a fish in a tank that she won’t be happy in.... I’m not sure if I can save $5,000 in the time frame before the fish gets too big... any other thoughts??

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be brutal on the wallet. My wife is asked me " why did you pick such an expensive hobby?" Its been a few years since she's asked and I still haven't answered her

This hobby is VERY expensive lol. Sometimes I still ask myself why I chose such an expensive hobby....

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input. I compiled a list of the major things I will need (tank, stand, lights, wave pumps, sand, salt, rock, sump) and I got an estimate of around $5,000. Not sure if that sounds right, but I spent around $3,500 on the entire cost of my current 120. So, that sounds accurate to me, but what do you think??

Here are the screenshots of the items that I’m thinking of purchasing (again, these are just ballpark ideas) Take a look and let me know how this looks.... this doesn’t include sand, salt, rock, and the tank for the sump (I’m doing a DIY sump)

BFE053A1-117C-459F-AA6C-C79B8F7BD6CD.png
A142376F-B6DF-45FE-ABCD-8D70E58D50A7.png
08315290-B160-4581-A69B-D1DAAA363173.png
EEA4096B-A755-4A59-9FB6-4EE874A97F9E.png
3338A945-1F60-47EA-AA5F-6F72E01F5DFA.png
I must say, do not buy a marinland tank! They are garbage, and are not worth the money! They are inconveniently shaped and the corner overflows are flawed. If you want a 220 gal. tank, i would recommend the one I have, made by Aqueon. The quality of the build is much better, and I feel I can trust their track record far mor than a Marineland. I know there are a lot of people who have marineland tanks, but if i were you, I would go aha=ead and get the better tank. They are a about the same price anyway.

Hope that helps, sorry if I intimidated you lol

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say, do not buy a marinland tank! They are garbage, and are not worth the money! They are inconveniently shaped and the corner overflows are flawed. If you want a 220 gal. tank, i would recommend the one I have, made by Aqueon. The quality of the build is much better, and I feel I can trust their track record far mor than a Marineland. I know there are a lot of people who have marineland tanks, but if i were you, I would go aha=ead and get the better tank. They are a about the same price anyway.

Hope that helps, sorry if I intimidated you lol

You definitely didn’t intimidate me lol but I appreciate the advice. The 120 I have is an Aqueon, but it just so happened to be that the first 220 I saw was a Marineland. Thank you for the input though, I do agree with getting another brand other than Marineland.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back