Post copper treatment for new fish

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have treated my new fish with copper for almost 3 weeks and they're all healthy, thank god!!! Isn't there another "step" I should take before introducing them to the show tank?

I am thinking a few partial water changes with "show tank water" in the next week to get them used to the show tank water. This also provides me additional time for observation. Is this a good idea?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have treated my new fish with copper for almost 3 weeks and they're all healthy, thank god!!! Isn't there another "step" I should take before introducing them to the show tank?

I am thinking a few partial water changes with "show tank water" in the next week to get them used to the show tank water. This also provides me additional time for observation. Is this a good idea?
Transition to another completely sterile quarantine with nothing from the first tank or elf it ride for 4 weeks total. I usually observe for a week afterward to make sure nothing else returns in the absense of copper. If you’ve not treated with prazi or GC I’d recommend this during the observation time.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transition to another completely sterile quarantine with nothing from the first tank or elf it ride for 4 weeks total. I usually observe for a week afterward to make sure nothing else returns in the absense of copper. If you’ve not treated with prazi or GC I’d recommend this during the observation time.

Sounds good. Thank you! I have Prazi on hand, will use.
By the way, you are prob the best person to ask this question: is it normal for a PBT to have redness at the "base" of the pectoral fins( both sides)? Fish seems very healthy otherwise.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Thank you! I have Prazi on hand, will use.
By the way, you are prob the best person to ask this question: is it normal for a PBT to have redness at the "base" of the pectoral fins( both sides)? Fish seems very healthy otherwise.
No that could be an infection. Is the fish eating? Is it behaving lethargic?

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that could be an infection. Is the fish eating? Is it behaving lethargic?

OK I'm kind of relieved. I went on the net to look at many images of PDT's and found out at least 1/3 have similar shade of red. He's been eating well. Will watch him closely, thank you!
Here's a pic.

pect 2.jpg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like getting fish accustomed to the feedings I do while in quarantine. Feeding in my display tank is high speed chaos. I want my new fish to know the signals for feeding and I want them to be eager eaters. Otherwise, the display tank might be too traumatic for them. Also, new fish tend to be pretty thin or even gaunt from the travails of capture and transport. I like to fatten them up some before the display tank.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'm kind of relieved. I went on the net to look at many images of PDT's and found out at least 1/3 have similar shade of red. He's been eating well. Will watch him closely, thank you!
Here's a pic.

pect 2.jpg
It’s hard to tell but I know for sure that tang has stress coloration. If that stays long the fish has some sort of ailment that will need addressed. They don’t look that way for more than a few hours or a day without reason.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell but I know for sure that tang has stress coloration. If that stays long the fish has some sort of ailment that will need addressed. They don’t look that way for more than a few hours or a day without reason.

I found out the red shade at the base of the pectoral is "not" a concern at all. Some keepers have seen it and "many" images of beautiful PBT's on the web have that shade. Some are pretty pronounced.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like getting fish accustomed to the feedings I do while in quarantine. Feeding in my display tank is high speed chaos. I want my new fish to know the signals for feeding and I want them to be eager eaters. Otherwise, the display tank might be too traumatic for them. Also, new fish tend to be pretty thin or even gaunt from the travails of capture and transport. I like to fatten them up some before the display tank.

They have been well fed for 3 weeks already and fat enough, that's not a concern. Quarantine tanks are right next to the show tanks so they already know the routine. But I will spend 1 more week to perform partial water changes with water from show tank( no copper) and observe. Then if things are OK then 3 days in acclimation boxes before introducing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back