Post disease live rock expectation

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, i had tank wipe out from velvet and gosh who knows what else was in there (nasty lfs). I have washed all the LR thoroughly with freshwater, soaked them overnight and air dry them. Been about three weeks now and gonna re- setup my tank. New fish is already in the quarantine. My concern is when i was hosing those rocks, a lot of worms, some alive, mostly dead came out. My question is I think they could be some dead ones still within those rocks, esp those big boulders. Hence, should i except high levels of ammonia after adding water due to any dead organism in the rock and if no ammonia is detectable after two weeks, should i assume there wont be any ammonia from the rock wise? (This is not cycling question using LR etc)
I just wanna know if dead/dry rock have die off or are they are as good as putting an artificial rock and not expecting any changes (nitrogen wise).
Also, is it safe to assume those rocks are disease free now from whatever i had?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet is to do a water/bleach bath for the rocks, rinse then, let them fully dry and then do a water/Muriatic acid bath. This way everything will be guaranteed dead, all organic matter dissolved with any parasies or bugs.

OP
OP
kesh

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet is to do a water/bleach bath for the rocks, rinse then, let them fully dry and then do a water/Muriatic acid bath. This way everything will be guaranteed dead, all organic matter dissolved with any parasies or bugs.
i did wash them thoroughly and soak few days in freshwater and let them dry for almost two weeks. I prefer not to use any chemical if possible

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can clean the rocks of organic matter and or nutrients like phosphates.

Since the rock has been dried, I think it is a safe bet that it is disease free. It is also dry rock so you have to redo your cycle to establish the bacteria to handle the ammonia to nitrite to nitrates transition.

As for cleaning, I understand that bleach is best for removing unwanted organic matter from the rock. You can put the rock into a dilute bleach solution for a day, scrub it, rinse it off and if you think it is clean rinse out the bleach and dry it, or not. If you think more cleaning is in order, just repeat.

If you had nutrient problems in your tank, you could wash it in dilute mureatic acid. I would go with no more than a 5% solution. It will remove phosphates. If you never had algae blooms or resolved them and had a clean tank, I would not bother.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back