Potassium Dosing - 3 x NSW Level

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this 2014 MACNA presentation Justin Credabel talks about dosing potassium to obtain levels 2 to 3 times higher than natural sea water levels, & along with iron dosing gives his corals faster growth & more color.

Discuss

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give it a try.
When Potassium is low my montis (encrusting) start looking grey, so I can use them as a gauge and lets see what happens.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to how elevated potassium would increase the rate of growth & color?

Is this just an anecdotal observation by a couple of hobbyists? Or is there some science to back up this hypothesis?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just got my potassium level back down to normal, too.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the basis for an elevated level of potassium is to keep a balance with the other fertilizers in the water - nitrogen & phosphorus.
The hypothesis is that aquariums typically have higher levels of N & P than the ocean, & as potassium is also a necessary element for photosynthesising organisms, just as N & P are, it too should be elevated.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I accidentally overdose,and lost shrimps and some acros and montis. So if you raise K levels, do it slowly.

And I remember Triton boss , in a macna talk, mention not to worry about high K levels.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fertilizer there will never be to low potassium level in a reef tank. Potassium is normally about 400 mg/l in seawater and the consumption is about of the same level as phosphourus.

But potassium has another function in animals as regulation of the flow through ion channels in cell walls. I have not seen any data on how sensitive animals are for low or high levels exept for human beings. I believe we should have about 8 mg/l in the blood but I guess saltwater fishes have a quite different level and the animals with seawater as a body fluid different again.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fertilizer there will never be to low potassium level in a reef tank. Potassium is normally about 400 mg/l in seawater

So you are saying, as an example, that if K level, reduced to 200mg/l, there won't be any negative effect to our reef inhabitants?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I dont say that. I guess it wont change much of the way algae are living in the tank. But it certainly will change the way corals live. And maybe it will affect fishes too.
I have seen losses in coloring and growth of corals with a potassium level of 320. But the algae grew on as usual. The corals regained their colors in about a week after raising the potassium to 400.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I dont say that. I guess it wont change much of the way algae are living in the tank. But it certainly will change the way corals live. And maybe it will affect fishes too.
I have seen losses in coloring and growth of corals with a potassium level of 320. But the algae grew on as usual. The corals regained their colors in about a week after raising the potassium to 400.
I totally agree, but why did you wrote the first paragraph, I quoted earlier?

PS in low levels of potassium I notice slow to very slow, growth of chaeto in refugium and algae on ATS.....but the point here , is high levels of potassium.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to Sallstrom about this after reading one of his posts in his thread -

"New for us, dipping Acropora corals in tank water with extra potassium. Raised the K from ca 400ppm to ca 1600ppm. Dip is going on right now. Starting with 20 minutes.
Testing with 6 different species of Acropora"

&
"Okey. First impression. 5mm Gammarus amphipods were dead/stunned after just a couple of minutes. A Asterina seastar dead after 20 minutes. So it kills/stun stuff for sure. I couldn't find any AEFW, but that might just be because the corals were dipped a couple of month ago and the flatworms hasn't returned. This was mostly a test to see how the corals react after a treatment. The corals did release some musus/slime.
Now they are all back in the propagation tanks where they were before. Will check on them to see if they were affected bad by the dip."

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked him in person about it and testing and he said he didn't even test - just adds a lot and seems to notice a difference! I'm sure he tested it before to ballpark those numbers but was surprised by his answer.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sallstrom and others notice killing of invertebrates . That may be not be only an effect of the rise*3 level of K ,but also of the speed of rising to that level.....Triton boss and the macna speaker are very knowledgeable and so increased levels of K may not harm anything , if K concentration ,rises gradually. As I wrote , I also noticed negative effects by increased K levels, but I had also dump a big quantity of K, instead of rising it slowly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back