Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad i found this thread as i am suffering same scenario in my 90 gal tank, I wanted to dose nitrate now, but my ICP test last week came up with my tank high on potassium 446 instead of 400 setpoint, what can you suggest?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad i found this thread as i am suffering same scenario in my 90 gal tank, I wanted to dose nitrate now, but my ICP test last week came up with my tank high on potassium 446 instead of 400 setpoint, what can you suggest?

Dose sodium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose sodium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate.

thanks for the quick response, should i be aware of salt level increase if i use sodium nitrate!
does sodium nitrate readily available somewhere where i can pickup right away?
and how about the mixing ratio?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the quick response, should i be aware of salt level increase if i use sodium nitrate!
does sodium nitrate readily available somewhere where i can pickup right away?
and how about the mixing ratio?

Yep, just watch your salinity. You can find it in some grocery stores as chile saltpeter. I'm not sure of what the max solubility of it is in water, but you'd probably be fine at 10g per 1L.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, just watch your salinity. You can find it in some grocery stores as chile saltpeter. I'm not sure of what the max solubility of it is in water, but you'd probably be fine at 10g per 1L.

Is Chile saltpeter a fertilizer for plants, should i be looking in that section. thanks again

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my bad, i googled and found to be a fertilizer, okay i have to look to see if shoprite, stop & shop carry them.
thanks.

do you think if there is any harm if i can start off with stump remover from lowes today and in 2 days if i get hold of the sodium nitrate i will switch to that.

(btw when i searched the lowes site they call as stump brush killer but picture show stump remover)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think if there is any harm if i can start off with stump remover from lowes today and in 2 days if i get hold of the sodium nitrate i will switch to that.

(btw when i searched the lowes site they call as stump brush killer but picture show stump remover)

I would wait the two days.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay great, help me with the calculation on the dose i made

6pm test - 0ppm, dose 10ml
7pm test - 1ppm, dose 15ml
8pm test - 3ppm, dose 10ml
9pm test - 5ppm. stopped dose for the day

Next day 9am test - 1ppm

So can i assume in 12hr time it dropped from 5ppm to 1ppm, 4ppm consumption for 12 hr.
Can i dose 15ml one at 8am and another at 8pm, am I right.
Not sure how long i would have to dose, can i setup this schedule into the doser

Also after how many days should i start to expect the results. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all this great info. Question for you. I currently have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates with a GHA problem. If I dose stump remover to get the nitrates up will that just encourage the GHA? I know the nitrates and phosphates are in the system, but they are just bound up in the algae. I’m actively doing what I can to manually remove as much as possible.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all this great info. Question for you. I currently have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates with a GHA problem. If I dose stump remover to get the nitrates up will that just encourage the GHA? I know the nitrates and phosphates are in the system, but they are just bound up in the algae. I’m actively doing what I can to manually remove as much as possible.
see post above!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back