Potential Wrasse Id

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a different question than normal, but this weekend I was fishing down in the Florida Keys using some small hooks for bait fish when I caught what appeared to be some sort of Wrasse. Now I didn't keep him, and put him back (he swam off fine) but just got me wondering what kind he was, and if he was a type found in the hobby

20180325_091710.jpg

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a different question than normal, but this weekend I was fishing down in the Florida Keys using some small hooks for bait fish when I caught what appeared to be some sort of Wrasse. Now I didn't keep him, and put him back (he swam off fine) but just got me wondering what kind he was, and if he was a type found in the hobby

20180325_091710.jpg
Cool Catch, every time someone talks about throwing fish back in I have to laugh, The last time I was fishing in Thailand, we were catching a ton of fish but I got a small one so I threw it back, Oh my Thai friends flipped out. Well I just smiled and kept fishing and I did it again well finally they ask me,why I did that. I said I want him to grow up and have baby's so I can come back and fish again. well I guess they all thought about it I think there were 6 of us. But anyway soon they were all throwing back the small ones LOL :)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to make sure the ocean still has beautiful fish in it for my children to find and see in wonder, just like I do.
And I agree my friend but believe it or not the biggest thing at least in my opinion that's hurting the ocean is the trawler, they pull so much out of the ocean

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may be right. Looking up the puddingwife it does look similar. Had never heard of that kind before, but they do look gorgeous.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty fish. That could be a potential take home. Disclaimer: With care of course.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to see that in my tank
See, you say that, but I don't think you'd feel that way once it reached 20" and destroyed your invert population.

Eventually, looks like:
Fish1649.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful ! I put a very cool little robin fish in a tank.Wiped every thing out in a week with velvet ! I'd do it again but certainly would start off in separate tank for observation.

Oh Ya if I may ask, What key did Ya stay on & what did ya catch?

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful ! I put a very cool little robin fish in a tank.Wiped every thing out in a week with velvet ! I'd do it again but certainly would start off in separate tank for observation.

Oh Ya if I may ask, What key did Ya stay on & what did ya catch?

Yeah, I would definitely do my normal QT steps for a wild fish. Can only imagine the diseases and parasites they could have.

And we stayed in Veterans Park on the end of 7 mile bridge. We fished all night for shark. Caught lots of white grunts for bait, and hooked quite a few sharks, but they were smart enough to weave through the bridge pillars and snap the line. Were fun fights though (which is what I enjoy).

I also love all the marine life you can see from the old bridge. Sting rays, manta rays, sharks, eels, puffers, you name it. Some of the more interesting sightings were of what appeared to be an angel fish, a weird looking puffer that looked a lot like a cow fish, and the posted wrasse.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 57 27.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back