OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What media are you using in your CRTT 3000?
They are pretty big marble type rocks, intended for low ph auto calcium reactors. Apparently small media just melts away too easily. Not sure of brand. Deltec didn’t have anything I stock. I got something intended for dastaco. Same principle.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have the frag tank going and went out to Blue Ribbon Koi (not a joke- they sell a lot of koi too!) in Manassas to fill it up. Will let these frags recover from dipping, get acclimated to the lights and then move them up. Tank is doing well. Cyano is on the decline. Starting to get some tiny Valonia- time for some emerald crabs!

BC9B4B38-132B-42A6-BC00-9249CC1AE835.jpeg 320EA858-2FAA-4B60-80E7-888299D7DE04.jpeg

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a periodic pH calibration and my values are maxing around 7.9 instead of the 8.1 I thought I was at. Clearly the carx is driving the pH down as my alk consumption is increasing. No good deed goes unpunished.

Time to fire up the refugium I suppose - hopefully some reverse photoperiod will help boost the pH. Ordered sea lettuce from Algae barn. Cannot seem to find chaeto. That and toilet paper! Crazy pandemic.

Would like to see pH> 8 : a bit arbitrary I suppose. My nitrates (3ppm) and phosphates (.01) are running very low - likely the result of the filter roller, strong skimmer, marine pure and moderate fish load. Tank is looking good though. If I raise phosphate, I get cyano. So I’m not adding anything.

Curious if the fuge will drop nitrates more or if it will just redistribute the export. Hopefully the latter.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just add some kalk to raise ph?
No down sides for you and can offset the low ph from the cal reactor.
That’s my backup plan. But would involve running another ro line and adding a stirrer so figured I’d try turning the fuge on first. Want the fuge to be more than a settling chamber!

I’d use a dos channel to feed the stirrer. Wouldn’t want it on my ato.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a stirrer. Dr. Randy mixes up like 30 gallons at a time and just doses it. I read that in a post here.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong about the 30 gallons. He mixed up 144 gallons.

I'm not a fan of stirrers for several reasons, and certainly time saving is not an inherent advantage of them. I made up a big batch of limewater (144 gallons in Brute cans) once every 30-60 days, and that took 15 minutes. It was then autodosed by my ATO for the next 46-60 days.

IMO, the only advantage of stirrers is the space savings.

Drawbacks include difficulty controlling potency, and the fact that it is not settled in the same way to reduce impurities.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong about the 30 gallons. He mixed up 144 gallons.
That would certainly work. I agree stirrer not needed but space is tight down in the Lab.

In a earlier post I mentioned the blue spotted jawfish. Well, he vanished at one point and I assumed I’d lost him. Over a week later, I found him, on the floor in the Lab down in the basement. He jumped into the overflow, got through the muffler, and into my fuge. Then jumped out again a week later. RIP. Liked that fish! Trying again tomorrow.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Haze! The fuge is cooking. Have the two H380s running in grow mode. Added a bit of sea lettuce. Will see how it does. Some is sinking but a lot is still up by the overflow.

BDB8F0EC-1C4E-40DB-8C07-26AAD2D9449D.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would certainly work. I agree stirrer not needed but space is tight down in the Lab.

In a earlier post I mentioned the blue spotted jawfish. Well, he vanished at one point and I assumed I’d lost him. Over a week later, I found him, on the floor in the Lab down in the basement. He jumped into the overflow, got through the muffler, and into my fuge. Then jumped out again a week later. RIP. Liked that fish! Trying again tomorrow.

I absolutely love blue spot jawfish, but tired of killing them. I believe these fish just don't belong in reef tanks as our water is too warm. I've read they are collected around Baja which is some darn cold water. Beautiful and interesting fish though for sure.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love blue spot jawfish, but tired of killing them. I believe these fish just don't belong in reef tanks as our water is too warm. I've read they are collected around Baja which is some darn cold water. Beautiful and interesting fish though for sure.
Did they waste away?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they waste away?

Yes exactly. Even though they would eat OK. One managed to jump a couple times when I took the lid off to mess with things. But yes, over time they would stay in the burrow longer and longer, then end up stuck on the side of an powerhead.

OP
OP
emvanburen

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly. Even though they would eat OK. One managed to jump a couple times when I took the lid off to mess with things. But yes, over time they would stay in the burrow longer and longer, then end up stuck on the side of an powerhead.
Well here’s to hoping that my guy has a better outcome!

Back