Powder blue tang has ick

reefrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a powder blue tang last week and put it in a quarantine tank. Well of course Justin's tank crashed and I had to throw all of his fish into my 55 gallon quarantine so the tank was very overloaded. So against my better judgement I moved my fish to my main tank. Now I'm worried about all my other fish getting ick. I know tangs get pick really easily. He hasn't been eating much since I got him. Today I going to try a different food and dip it in garlic to boost its immune system. Do you guys have any good ideas for this situation. I don't want to over or under react to this.

OP
OP
reefrooster

reefrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true. Plus I have a snowflake eel in the tank with him that shrimp would be some expensive fish food.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I don't think the shrimp is the solution it can do nothing but help in this case. (except for getting eaten by the eel) That being said with the situation you are in I would just make sure my water perimeters are in check and feed the fish well. Ich can be beat this way.

fraggingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimps are used only to clean the fish not cure them of parasites.

Your best solution would be to pull that fish out and QT it, before it spreads to other inhabitants.
You can QT it without any chemicals, that way it doesn't stress out the tang.

acanaddict1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for not asking about tank inhabitants!!! However, to say a cleaner shrimp will not help I have a now huge mimic tang and raccoon bfly that would highly disagree! +1 with Rev have a buddy with an achilles that beat it exactly that way!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with powder blues and ich, and what I think you will experience.

When first introduced to a display they almost always break out with ich, generally not very severe but noticeable. If your other fish are well fed and healthy they will be fine. When quarantining, the ich will appear to go away...when reintroduced he is most likely going to break out again. The best course of action (in my experience) is to leave the fish in the display and feed well. Soaking every other feeding in a garlic soak. The garlic does nothing for the fishes immune system but triggers a feeding response, with increased eating the fishes natural immune system will be boosted. To mich garlic can lead to problems as well. As the fish adjusts and eats well, it will fight the ich off itself. This is the case that I feel my uv sterilizer makes a big difference, all tanks that I have seen personally with large ich prone tangs have a uv sterilizer but that is a whole different discussion.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus and a little metronitozole and garlic in the food and you are set. Before I started doing this I feared ich. Now I don't. It will cure fish already with ich and keep all others from getting it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back