Powder brown Tang died suddenly

asaspades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Powder brown tang I got a couple weeks ago just died, it’s very odd considering that he was very active last night with no signs of biting or fin nipping. It’s a 75 gallon tank with a clown fish, orchid Dotty back, brown kole tang, a cleaner shrimp, and diamond goby. Both tangs are small and I got them at the same time. They seemed to get along well, swam together and ate together with no aggression. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 15-20. Tank has been established for just over 6 months. I am just curious on what happened and if it might be a disease. I am new to this forum

E5058369-9C15-4FFD-ADDC-C063DEC3A4AA.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Powder brown tang I got a couple weeks ago just died, it’s very odd considering that he was very active last night with no signs of biting or fin nipping. It’s a 75 gallon tank with a clown fish, orchid Dotty back, brown kole tang, a cleaner shrimp, and diamond goby. Both tangs are small and I got them at the same time. They seemed to get along well, swam together and ate together with no aggression. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 15-20. Tank has been established for just over 6 months. I am just curious on what happened and if it might be a disease. I am new to this forum

E5058369-9C15-4FFD-ADDC-C063DEC3A4AA.jpeg
Sorry to hear
Some causes are:
Stray voltage
Velvet
Flukes
Aggression

Crashing into glass from being startled

OP
OP
A

asaspades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear
Some causes are:
Stray voltage
Velvet
Flukes
Aggression

Crashing into glass from being startled
Thank you for replying, does the fish look like it had a disease like ick or velvet? I see white marks all over the body but they weren’t there last night so I can’t tell if they’re bite marks or not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for replying, does the fish look like it had a disease like ick or velvet? I see white marks all over the body but they weren’t there last night so I can’t tell if they’re bite marks or not.
Funny you ask- the white dots suggest Oodinum or velvet but generally hard to pinpoint once a fish has died unless you use a scrape and place under microscope soon enough

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back