Power Head Anemone Guards (Neptune WAV)

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's neat! I need to get myself a 3-D printer and come up with stuff like this haha

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. Those WAV ones look good. I was going to grab a few of the MP40 and MP10 covers, but looking at them closer, I'm concerned that the design for those might restrict flow quite a bit. Also, part of the cover goes between the wet side and the glass, which probably decreases the magnetic hold slightly, a problem if you have thick glass. So as cool as they are, I think I'll just stick with the oem mesh covers for the vortechs.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. Those WAV ones look good. I was going to grab a few of the MP40 and MP10 covers, but looking at them closer, I'm concerned that the design for those might restrict flow quite a bit. Also, part of the cover goes between the wet side and the glass, which probably decreases the magnetic hold slightly, a problem if you have thick glass. So as cool as they are, I think I'll just stick with the oem mesh covers for the vortechs.

For the WAV there are no issues with glass. Plenty of clearance. As for flow, it appears to be the same. The only issue I see is how fast they might get plugged, with junk, but I assume that is a problem with any solutions.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know it works great? Did you do an anemone test? My experience with most of these guards is that they actually don't work (because they fail to understand the physics).

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know it works great? Did you do an anemone test? My experience with most of these guards is that they actually don't work (because they fail to understand the physics).

IF you catch it quickly enough, guards may save both the nem and the tank. Otherwise it just takes a second and the nem is shredded before you can even react. Of course you're right that nothing will save a nem that gets plastered on the mesh and goes unnoticed for a few days.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So what are the physics?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you catch it quickly enough, guards may save both the nem and the tank. Otherwise it just takes a second and the nem is shredded before you can even react. Of course you're right that nothing will save a nem that gets plastered on the mesh and goes unnoticed for a few days.

I've used many of the commercial options; and made a few of my own. Either they don't work or are an aesthetic monstrosity. If the difference between a guarded and unguarded powerhead in saving an anemone is a few seconds then they're unlikely to be helpful ..... unless, of course you spend all your time watching the tank. I've had a couple of anemone purée incidents, but I have mostly concluded that the guards perform so poorly as to be worse than no guard at all. A better solution would be some kind of sensor that can detect a foreign object on the cage and shut down the pump. That's beyond my technical skills to implement though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are the physics?

Simple, really, if you actually think about it. Smaller holes, but still tight to the powerhead will suck in a soft bodied animal like an anemone just as easily. The 'cage' has to sit proud of the pump so if an anemone contacts it there is an alternative path for the suction. I've designed a bunch of these and the only ones that passed the jello test were those that had at least an inch of space around the pump. I had a thread over on RC on the one I made that actually worked, but that was years ago.

BTW, if you have issue with the way I asked my earlier question, post it here. Don't send a PM with insults. If you're that thin skinned .....

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE
BTW, if you have issue with the way I asked my earlier question, post it here. Don't send a PM with insults. If you're that thin skinned .....[/QUOTE]

PM is probably better though. It keeps the drama down a bit. Just sayin....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, probably true. I guess I'm in the minority that I like a good robust argument and drama makes me smile.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, really, if you actually think about it. Smaller holes, but still tight to the powerhead will suck in a soft bodied animal like an anemone just as easily. The 'cage' has to sit proud of the pump so if an anemone contacts it there is an alternative path for the suction. I've designed a bunch of these and the only ones that passed the jello test were those that had at least an inch of space around the pump. I had a thread over on RC on the one I made that actually worked, but that was years ago.

BTW, if you have issue with the way I asked my earlier question, post it here. Don't send a PM with insults. If you're that thin skinned .....
Can you link me?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like how he says “reef safe” without actually mentioning what type of plastic he is printing with though!

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled on this thread today. These are my guards and were designed for and with feedback from Neptune Systems.

They are printed with PETG. I've tested the material for several weeks in invert tanks before using in my own tank prior to posting the very first ones online.

Yes, they do block some flow but that's the nature of the beast. The guards look bulky because they do have a gap between the pump and guard.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own for about 6 bucks grated I had the hole saw bits and a Dremel, plus I had a sheet of 1/4 acrylic laying around. For both mp 10 and Mp 40

Both nems In tank for 6 yrs no issues.

7ef22b23b5499e8b748b395279f98c31.jpg
3eb53658cf67887530d221c29be34e9a.jpg
a56c0072a3c728022de0428d2ea768d4.jpg
659517191235c2a0bde8d3792920df05.jpg
93f7b1b98c4524449562054b320f77b6.jpg

JMarble0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J
Just info for anyone looking for Power Head guards. Just picked up a pair of these for Anemone Guards. He 3D prints them and has covers for other power heads. Fits perfect and works great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEPTUNE-SYSTEMS-APEX-WAV-PUMP-ANEMONE-GUARD/302880979810?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
WARNING.. DO NOT USE THIS SELLER. He takes your money but does not send the order. He makes up lies as to why USPS has not yet received the item from him (shows via USPS) then makes nasty comments for inquiring about a product you purchased with your hard earned money. Don't stress yourself out! He posts on ETSY and EBAY.

Screenshot_20200821-151353.png

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back