Power head for long skinny tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter slimmacck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

slimmacck

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2023
Messages
9
Reaction score
6
Location
newport beach
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a new tank and am planning to setup a reef. It’s a rimless tank, about 35” long and 12 gallons. I’m in the process of picking out equipment and am a little unsure what to do about a power head. It’s a relatively low volume tank but because it’s so long I want to make sure there’s enough flow across the tank. I was thinking a Nero 3 but am concerned it’s a bit too wide to reach across. Any suggestions or recommendations? For filtration I’m most likely going to run a canister with a surface skimmer or potentially just a hang in the back filter so there’s not going to be much flow from that to factor in.

IMG_2882.jpeg
 
I just purchased a new tank and am planning to setup a reef. It’s a rimless tank, about 35” long and 12 gallons. I’m in the process of picking out equipment and am a little unsure what to do about a power head. It’s a relatively low volume tank but because it’s so long I want to make sure there’s enough flow across the tank. I was thinking a Nero 3 but am concerned it’s a bit too wide to reach across. Any suggestions or recommendations? For filtration I’m most likely going to run a canister with a surface skimmer or potentially just a hang in the back filter so there’s not going to be much flow from that to factor in.

IMG_2882.jpeg
Personally mp10 or an AI orbit I have one on my 75 gallon sps tank and I love it
 
I would just get 2 small powerheads and place them at opposite ends of the tank. It’s too hard to get good flow with just one powerhead.
Agreed, and remember both don’t need to be expensive wavemakers. If you have one wavemaker and one normal pump, you will get good results.

I would not do Nero nor would I do MP10 with these dimensions.
 
Is that the final scape?

How many inches is the tank from to back?

I think a nero5 turned down would be a good choice. Could also do a 2K gyre instead.
Yeah final scape most likely. And I think 10” deep but could be wrong. I’ll look into the Nero 5 , I’d prefer 1 power head over two but we’ll see
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new