Power Head Horror Story

  • Thread starter Thread starter phil_pl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

phil_pl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
383
Reaction score
2
Location
Dalton, Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got a bubble tip anemone for my to Clownfish, i put them in the tank and everything was going great when i got up today, i saw an extremely cloudy tank and a overflowing protein skimmer collection cup. turns out my anemone found a place he thought he like(in my power head and got sucked through.
So far nothign else has died but time will tell

has this ever happened to anyone else
 
Happened to me three weeks ago. I had to remove all the rock and rinse it off. Plus dig out all the left over pieces. So while I was at it I changed 75% of the water.
I should say that I rinsed the rock with tank water. Everything else came out ok

JR,
 
That happens alot when you have powerheads that have no screen or filter material over the intake and add a anemone to the tank. Alot of the times they will wander around a little untill they find a spot they like, and in the process find that powerhead.
A couple of large water changes and carbon will help the water quality.
 
Unfortunately it happens rather often. I has happened to me 3 or 4 times over the years of reef keeping.
 
I lost a huge rose this way I thought i had all of them off but one back behind all my rock got left on I am still not even sure how it found it but it was stuck in it the next morning.
 
Make sure there isn't bits and pieces of the anem caught in your coral colonies... I know HUGE SPS tanks that have been totally runied due to this.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new