Power head quantity and placement in a Waterbox Marine X 60.2

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide on a power head setup for a Waterbox Marine X 60.2 (24x20x20). I am pretty much set on Ecotech Vortech power head because I don't want any cords in the tank. I am shooting to make my equipment as invisible as possible. I am setting up a reef and plan on having mostly corals with some fish

I am thinking of doing an MP40 and placing it on the back wall of the aquarium off to the side in hopes that with the small size of the tank that the water pushed from the MP40 would bounce off the glass and make is way to the other side.

I also was going to put RFG's nozzles on my return to mix with the flow from the MP40. I am going to be using a Vectra S2 pump for my return.

Will this setup provide sufficient flow for this tank?

Thanks

ajnies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setting up this same tank. My plan is either two MP10's or 40's, one either side of the overflow set to alternating intensities to give the tank a nice random current. Reason I haven't decided on which model yet is because technically the 10mm glass on the 60.2 is the upper limit of what an MP10 is rated for. I need to take the MP10 off my current tank and see if it works before deciding which route i'm going. Certainly would prefer the 10's considering I have one and they're cheaper haha.

OP
OP
bluerider098

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and bought a single MP40. After further research and talking with a few others it sounds like a 10 can work but it's sketchy and it didn't take much to knock it off. I didn't do 2 40's because it's way too much flow for for this size tank even with 1 40. So I bought a couple random flow generators for my return nozzles and am hoping the flow from the 40 will mix with it to make some good currents.

Still waiting on my tank so let me know how yours turns out. Post some pics of your setup, there's not much out there right now on this tank.

Last edited:

ajnies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and bought a single MP40. After further research and talking with a few others it sounds like a 10 can work but it's sketchy and it didn't take much to knock it off. I didn't do 2 40's because it's way too much flow for for this size tank even with 1 40. So I bought a couple random flow generators for my return nozzles and am hoping the flow from the 40 will mix with it to make some good currents.

Still waiting on my tank so let me know how yours turns out. Post some pics of your setup, there's not much out there right now on this tank.
Agreed the MP40 is a lot of flow for this size tank haha. My plan was to run them at 50% or less, but we shall see!

I started a build thread, but haven't updated it recently since it took so long to get the actual tank. However, I got the tank last thursday and am in the process of filling it with RODI water. I plan to update the thread soon.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setting up this same tank. My plan is either two MP10's or 40's, one either side of the overflow set to alternating intensities to give the tank a nice random current. Reason I haven't decided on which model yet is because technically the 10mm glass on the 60.2 is the upper limit of what an MP10 is rated for. I need to take the MP10 off my current tank and see if it works before deciding which route i'm going. Certainly would prefer the 10's considering I have one and they're cheaper haha.
I'm in the exact same place. Just ordered 60.2 and want to run two mp10s but don't know if it will work on the 10mm glass. Did you get a chance to try it out?

ajnies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the exact same place. Just ordered 60.2 and want to run two mp10s but don't know if it will work on the 10mm glass. Did you get a chance to try it out?
So here's the short answer, They definitely work.

Long answer... The magnetic hold definitely isn't as strong as one might like. However, if you use a few of their included stick on mounts with zip ties for the cord above the MP10, there's no chance it's going to fall. Honestly, right now I have them set to about 60% and the flow seems plenty throughout the tank.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the short answer, They definitely work.

Long answer... The magnetic hold definitely isn't as strong as one might like. However, if you use a few of their included stick on mounts with zip ties for the cord above the MP10, there's no chance it's going to fall. Honestly, right now I have them set to about 60% and the flow seems plenty throughout the tank.
Thanks for the reply!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back