Power Head Question

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay new to the forum and hobby so go easy. We have setup a 90gallon reef tank. So far we have 3 green damsels and just sprung for a coral beauty today.

Question is we have 2 Jabeo wave makers. Left side is a tw-25 and on the right is a tw-40. They are a little above half way up the tank. About 3" on top of the rocks. They are pointed slightly up. One pointed front and one pointed rear. They are set on else and sw1. Is this to much for the tank? Seems like the fish are having a hard time swimming in this much movement but then again I am a newb and it could be normal. Just thought the fish would be swimming and not hiding in the rocks. Any help would be great!

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what those are or how they relate to the ones we have. Also the 40 is now making a vibrating noise that is driving us crazy. Can this harm the fish?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea about these pumps what they do perform at but maybe some one at the #reefsquad can help you with this.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to agree that's a bit overpowered for that tank. I myself have a 90 as well (4ft). Try bringing the power down a tad on those pumps.
Any corals present at the moment? Any pics of the current rockwork and arrangement available?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say yes too much flow. I think 2 of the rw-8 or pp-8 would be about right for a 90 gallon.

+1 on this

That's a lot of flow for a 90 . You may also have an issue with the 40 . I would take it out and try to clean it in a bucket with some vinegar and water . Might have something caught up in it .

You can try turning those pumps down .

The RW-8 would be a good choice for this size tank. [emoji4]

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one frag of coral in tonight. Let me see if I can post a picture...

20161022_130828.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Okay new to the forum and hobby so go easy. We have setup a 90gallon reef tank. So far we have 3 green damsels and just sprung for a coral beauty today.

Question is we have 2 Jabeo wave makers. Left side is a tw-25 and on the right is a tw-40. They are a little above half way up the tank. About 3" on top of the rocks. They are pointed slightly up. One pointed front and one pointed rear. They are set on else and sw1. Is this to much for the tank? Seems like the fish are having a hard time swimming in this much movement but then again I am a newb and it could be normal. Just thought the fish would be swimming and not hiding in the rocks. Any help would be great!
Haha theyre having a hard tome swimming? Dont worry, they like the workout =). If you feel its uncomfy to them, then dial the pumps down

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra power will be handy later on after your corals have grown in.

Then you will definitely have to turn it up. :)

gotwins86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what those are or how they relate to the ones we have. Also the 40 is now making a vibrating noise that is driving us crazy. Can this harm the fish?

rw-8 and pp-8 are smaller versions of the jebao wave makers you have. Like some have already said, with the pumps you have, you could probably just turn them down a ways.

On my 75 gallon I have a pp-8 and 2 rw-4. With the 3 I am getting good random flow throughout my tank.

OP
OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...

Last night I turned off the 25. The fish have came out more though and are moving around more than they have been. Last night we did lose a damsel. It was stuck to the side of the 40 this morning. This afternoon, it looks like we lost one of our new cleaner shrimp. Not sure why or what is going on...

Might start a thread just for our tank. Have other little issues I would like to figure out as well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 136 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back