OK, so here is what I am trying to do:
  1. Start Feed Mode A
  2. Return Pump Powers down for 15 minutes
  3. 2 Sicce Powerheads power off for 5 minutes then power up
So my first attempt was:
  1. Feed mode for 5 minutes
  2. Powerheads no delay
  3. Return 10 min delay
This works except that the power heads are on a OSC program so they may or may not power on/alternate, etc. and I want them on for the last 10 minutes of the cycle.

My second attempt was:
  1. Feed mode for 15 minutes
  2. Powerheads on a profile
  3. Return no delay
This didn't work because I couldn't figure out how to build a profile that would do a simple on/off for an outlet. Maybe I am missing something here, but I couldn't figure this out. My best guess was this:
Capture.JPG
But it didn't seem to do a thing. The programming was right and showed they were running that profile, just they weren't doing anything.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No biggie. I'm not an Apex guy, so I can't help you. I'm sure some of the folks that are will be by shortly.

#reefsquad

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so here is what I am trying to do:
  1. Start Feed Mode A
  2. Return Pump Powers down for 15 minutes
  3. 2 Sicce Powerheads power off for 5 minutes then power up
So my first attempt was:
  1. Feed mode for 5 minutes
  2. Powerheads no delay
  3. Return 10 min delay
This works except that the power heads are on a OSC program so they may or may not power on/alternate, etc. and I want them on for the last 10 minutes of the cycle.

My second attempt was:
  1. Feed mode for 15 minutes
  2. Powerheads on a profile
  3. Return no delay
This didn't work because I couldn't figure out how to build a profile that would do a simple on/off for an outlet. Maybe I am missing something here, but I couldn't figure this out. My best guess was this:
Capture.JPG
But it didn't seem to do a thing. The programming was right and showed they were running that profile, just they weren't doing anything.

Any thoughts on what I can do?
My Apex skills are rusty, but I might be able to help. Are these pumps variable speed or are you turning them on and off from an outlet?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure there is a way to do this with Feed modes, but it may be possible via a virtual outlet, but you would have to turn the outlet on/off.

If I remember from the comprehensive manual, the Apex reads anything in the "If Feed" command as a duration of the entire feed mode.

Ex:
If FeedA 001 Then OFF

Means for the duration of FeedA plus 1 minute stay off.

I don't know if the OSC command can be dependent on a Feed setting.

(Before editing anything in the advanced window I recommend copying what is already there and pasting it somewhere to save it in case something doesn't work right, it will at least revert to what it was already doing)

Try this first:
Set FeedA duration to 5 minutes

In your powerhead outlet, set them to be off during FeedA (if you set the outlet type to advanced it would say If FeedA 000 Then OFF)
In your return pump, set them to be off during FeedA plus 10 minutes (in advanced this would look like: If FeedA 010 Then OFF)

(I know you already tried something similar but I find the advanced outlet type to be easier to use for specific things - you can also program outlets to pay attention to all 4 feed modes)

If that doesn't work, try:

Setting the Outlet type you are using as Advanced and add:
If FeedA OSC 005:00/010:00/0 Then ON

Don't know if these will work but it's worth a shot.

If it doesn't work, try uploading a screen shot of the advanced window.

Maybe if @Terence has some free time he can provide some input.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a way you could do it. Edit: Pretty much the same concept as what's posted in the video above, only more specific to what you want to do.

Set your Feed Cycle duration to 15 minutes.

In the return pump code, add If FeedA 000 then OFF.

In the circulation pump code, add If FeedA 000 Then OFF after the OSC code.

Then create a virtual outlet that will turn on your circulation pumps back on after feed mode has been on for 5 minutes.

[FeedDelay5]
Set OFF
If FeedA 000 Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then ON

Now add this line as the next line in the circulation pump code.

If Output FeedDelay5 = ON Then ON

This will turn your flow pumps on after feed mode has been on for 5 minutes and return them to normal OSC programming when the feed mode ends and the return pump goes back on.

If it's unclear, you can post your current code here and we can look at how best to modify it.

Also, the reason using a profile didn't work is because profiles are used for generic variable outputs and also for controlling specific devices like WAVs, vortechs, radions, and also the DOS doser. They don't directly control any of the 120V relayed outlets.

Setting the Outlet type you are using as Advanced and add:
If FeedA OSC 005:00/010:00/0 Then ON

Unfortunately this isn't a valid Apex command.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you feel the need for feed mode? Has always struck me as singularly pointless. I actually pour frozen into my power heads.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you feel the need for feed mode? Has always struck me as singularly pointless. I actually pour frozen into my power heads.

I think the idea is that you turn down your return pump but keep your powerheads running; food is distributed throughout the tank but not into the overflow. This could be more or less useful depending on your approach to feeding. For me, it's not that useful and although I used it for feeding when I first got an Apex, I don't any more, I generally just pour the food in as you do and it's gone in a couple minutes, occasionally target feed, and keep my filters clean. I'm also concerned that constantly turning the return pump down/off may be hard on the impeller. I have no proof but I did have a premature impeller failure without calcium carbonate buildup or other apparent cause, while I was turning down the pump a couple of times every day for feeding.

I do still use feed mode for water changes to turn my return pump down to station-keeping and turn off skimmer etc. :)

OP
OP
Rob Rhodes

Rob Rhodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thanks for all of the responses. I am sorry I haven't responded more quickly, I was hit with a touch of a stomach bug so I have been out of it for a few days. My reasoning was that I like for the food to make it down to all levels of the water in the tank at first so that all of my critters can get some food. Then have the circulation pumps come on to stir up anything that has settled before the return pump comes on and starts pulling the food down into the sump. I do also cut off the skimmer, but I figured that wasn't as relevant to the discussion. I appreciate the help and will try these tonight and report back on my results.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back