Power Outage and Refugium

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a question for those with experience with power outages. I see a lot of people say don't worry about anything other than the water circulation and temperature. That leads me to thing the main pump and heaters are all I need on a backup source. But then I saw some say they only power a single power head to keep water circulating.

So my question is this: what about my refugium?

If I got the ecotech battery back up and just powered my mp10 there would be no flow through my small refugium in my sump. Is this okay? What do others do?

I'm not overly concerned about temp as I live in FL and always warm here. It seems like just running the MP10 would be a great solution but I'm not sure what would happen in my sump.

Thanks in advance.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your refugium with your main pump if you are going to supply power to the main pump.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium would be fine for the short term. Depending on the size of the tank, you would move the mp10 closer to the top to agitate the water a bit to aureate the water. the main thing you are concerned about is that the fish have O2. Some also keep and use a battery operated air pump around and feed an air stone along with the pump.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Feed your refugium with your main pump if you are going to supply power to the main pump.

I already do that. My question was what about the refugium if I only supply power to the powerhead. Is it okay or not?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it will be fine. There is usually no big demands for Oxygen in your refugium. YOur main display is the concern where you have all of your fish and livestock. I personally just have a power backup for my Tunze's in the display. I'm prepared for several hour power outage. Depending on where you live you may have to worry about temp.

Your algae and pods if that is all you have will be fine in the refuge for a long time.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back