Power surge blow out Neptune probes/ control module?

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So couple of hours ago we had a usual nasty Tampa summer rainstorm and got a lightning strike very close to the house. A few minutes later get an alert that temp and ph probe are outside parameters. We are talking WAY outside. Temp reading ph reading 2.45 and temp reading 19.6! Checked probes, controller, pump, lights ect and everything else seems fine. Looking at the graphing and it shows both probes going down to these #'s at same time and right after lightning strike. Tried recalibrating but immediately goes to same #'s. Reset (unplugged) controller and EB power strip to see if it helped and notta. Any thoughts?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp reading 19.x is the default it would report if there was no probe connected. Try disconnecting both the temp and pH probes to see if the Apex continues to report the same low values. If it does, then either the probes themselves got fried, or the ports are damaged. Do you have a spare probe to swap out as a test to rule out a faulty probe?

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert, but I think Neptune’s equipment is very susceptible to stray voltage like thatSo I’m not surprised that it’s acting weird. A few months ago we had a bad thunderstorm here too (CT).
We had a close strike, and it completely shorted out my base unit, (connected to a surge protector through a GFCI outlet) but spared everything else.

Interestingly, my cousin had a strike in his yard in the same storm, closer to his house than my strike, and his base was spared, but he lost his EB832 and a few of his modules.
Interesting how the surge traveled differently through the system to mess up different modules.

The nice thing is that Neptune was very helpful for both of us, and (for a fee) fixed it all.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert, but I think Neptune’s equipment is very susceptible to stray voltage like thatSo I’m not surprised that it’s acting weird. A few months ago we had a bad thunderstorm here too (CT).
We had a close strike, and it completely shorted out my base unit, (connected to a surge protector through a GFCI outlet) but spared everything else.

Interestingly, my cousin had a strike in his yard in the same storm, closer to his house than my strike, and his base was spared, but he lost his EB832 and a few of his modules.
Interesting how the surge traveled differently through the system to mess up different modules.

The nice thing is that Neptune was very helpful for both of us, and (for a fee) fixed it all.
You have to remember that outlets in different places may be on a different side of the 220. This will not normally be an issue unless you have a high voltage pulse like what is caused by a lightning strike. I had this happen also. The strike was right behind our house where the power lines are. It took out a single power bar on my Archon system. That power bar was in the garage along with 4 others. It happened to be the first one the buss cable from the tank was attached. It would work manually it just would not communicate with the rest of the system anymore. I also lost the sub woofer output on a surround sound receiver. It just happed that the subwoofer was plugged into a different wall outlet from the receiver. I was lucky since that was all that was lost in the house. My neighbor lost several items.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Not surprised though... although not affecting my Neptune, we had a similar issue here in Dallas and I lost all my HDMI extenders and a couple POE switches. I've since moved my IT systems and all my delicate electronics to a inverter UPS. Had several storms since and nothing damaged since none of the electronics see true line power... only inverted battery power. Even with the power outage and cycles, spikes, etc earlier this year, everything was good.
If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend putting Neptune on an inverter UPS to prevent any line noise or spikes; plus you get battery backup for about 2 hrs running all components, enough time to grab the generator.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back