Apex Help - A3 Malfunctioning in a major way

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - my apex isn't responding to anything and even doing a factory reset doesn't wipe it and allow me to start over.

I started having some trouble with my Apex A3 unit over the last few weeks and today it culminated into a near melt-down. I have a ticket in to the Neptune team but haven't heard anything, and before I tear this thing out and replace it with a million Kasa plugs, I wanted to see if anyone here has some insight.

Background: I have been running an Apex A3 "standard" unit for the last ~14 months. No issues with it at all until a few weeks ago. I noticed that the numbers for my temp and pH probes weren't making a graph anymore, although they were still reading correctly. Then, I started to see some cycling of one of my EB8s, where every 30-60 minutes it would power down, and then power back up. I tried updating my AOS, but every time I did, it would never "stick." It still said I was in the A23 (trying to update to F23). Fast forward to today, and half of my system is off. I am running 4 EB8s, 1 EB328, and multiple PM1s and PM2s. I have a sprawled out system over about 10 or so tanks. Now I cannot control ANY of the EBs. Some are stuck in the "on" position, and some in the "off" position, regardless of what it says they are in the app. All of the advanced programming for every single outlet is wiped clean. If I try to modify the outlet, I can change it, upload the change, and then go back and its back to just "advanced" with a blank code section. It says 3/5 EBs are missing or disconnected, but they all act the same. None of my float sensors or toggle switches work to do that they are supposed to do (I use lots of physical toggle switches to give me a way to quickly control things when I'm messing with the tanks). Oddly the only thing that seems to be working somewhat correctly is it is still displaying correct (from what I can see) data from my probes.

I tried logging into apex.local. No help. I tried removing the EBs from the system, and when I reopen, they are still there just like they were before I removed them. I even tried doing a hard factory reset - I thought this was going to work because it had me go through the setup wizard like I did when it came out of the box, only to have it boot up and... you guessed it... all of the exact same configurations and settings. I'm at a loss. The only things I've seen searching have suggested that it is possible that the board is fried - wonderful, since I'm 2 months out of the warranty period. I'm hoping there is another solution, because there is NO WAY I am going to repurchase this if it is indeed bricked after 14 months.

Anyone have advice here? Should I also reach out to BRS? Sorry for the wall of text. Was just trying to be thorough.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just swap the card or does the card need to be prepped with any system files?
This is a good run down on what to do -

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back