Powerhead selection for 80g

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 80g (32x24x24) and am currently running two 6105s on my Sea Sweeps with 12v jumper. The tank is only 10 months running and not heavily stocked yet, but planning on a mixed reef. Today I noticed two sps frags starting to stn and I think it's because the frags are too close to the powerheads and getting too much flow. What powerheads would you recommend to put on my sea sweeps.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with the flow is the velocity, not the amount, you want to stay to a lower velocity to avoid shearing and abrasion, a wider flow. 6105's with a jumper would be quite old, current models are always 12V with a much bigger propeller and much wider outlet. Do you have the wide flow outlet? Honestly you could just update your 6105's with these 3 parts- 6105.702, 3154.120, 6205.130 or 6255.130 (even wider outlet). If these pumps are older than 2012 you cannot use 6255.130. This would greatly reduce the velocity but keep the same high flow in a much wider pattern. 6095 or the new 6105 EcoStreams would be suitable, essentially with these parts you are updating them to EcoStreams. One concern would be that any pump that included a power supply with jumpers would be at least 8 years old, that is one reason you might want to consider new pumps, but you could always just replace the motors. Typically DC pumps don't last a whole lot more than 8-10 years of continuous use, eventually the electronics fail as capacitors will no longer hold a charge simply due to age and wearing out.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back