Powerhead Stray Voltage Testing

  • Thread starter Thread starter chill86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chill86

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2014
Messages
266
Reaction score
2
Location
carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to test some power heads and I am just trying to make sure that I am doing it right. I am simply placing the power head in a bucket of water and turning it on. With the volt meter on V with the wavy line above it I am getting a reading of 25 volts. Any info or recomendations would be superb!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You have your volt meter set correctly......"V" with the wavy line is AC volts. If you have "V" with dotted line, that means DC volts. So your meter is set correctly. Where are you putting the two probes? It doesn't matter which one, but one goes into the water and the other to a good ground. I like either using the little screw in the center of a wall plate or the ground receptacle in a wall outlet (the round one). Twentyfive volts is a bit high....that is certainly more than induced voltage.....that's a voltage leaker.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new