powerhead vs wavemaker

Zenpandadiver

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Puerto Rico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys you've probably discussed this already but I couldn't find it. What's the big deference between a powerhead and a wavemaker?? I'm using a 550gph (2000lph) powerhead in my 75gal tank. How big of a wavemaker would I need??
Please help!!
THANKS
 
Biggest difference is a wave maker can change the water flow automatically where as a regular powerhead is just moving it at one speed all the time. For a 75 gallon wave maker I'd recommend 2 Ecotech MP-40s, 2 Jebao RW-8s or 2 Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055s. The reason for at least 2 is to create multi flow direction. I have 3 in my tank but I also have mostly sps so I need the high flow and multi directional flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new