Powerheads and Gyro placement?

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2020
Messages
316
Reaction score
199
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for further advice.

I finally received my two Varios DLW-30 and one DCP-120 Gyro. Placed them on the back wall and found it not being ideal.
The tank is new.
So far no coral, it's still in the dark ages (lights off) and has only a few small fish to get the bio moving.
DTank is about 135 gallon. 48 x 24 x 28 . Water hight above sand is much lower. 32 gallon Sump
Pumps specs:
Flow 30%-100%
DLW-30: 1,000 to 3,500 Gph
DCP-120: 1,300 to 4,600 Gph
Thinking:
- Gyro top middle back. (because overflow on left, viewing glass on right) - Sine flow.
- 2 Wavemakers .... perhaps get some rotation going ?
-1 back-left middle to bottom
- 1 front-right middle to bottom. Linked Sine or random?
All pumps at 30% until I add corals.

Here are some pictures and a video.
The fish are hiding since I added flow:cool:
You can see the current pumps placements in the first picture.
No idea where the "pink" tint is coming from.

IMG_3997.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg
IMG_3999.jpeg

 
I have my pumps on the ends of my tank facing each other. They alternate between them. I like to make my soft corals sway side to side.

It’s really just personal preference but the tank is so narrow - you can’t really utilize their power.

If you put the pumps on the ends you can turn them up. I put mine high up as to not blast the sand too much.

New sand is much easier to disturb until it gets some bio material on it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new