Powerheads for a 75G

Steve Maxwell

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
536
Reaction score
239
Location
Pearland, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last piece of equipment (for now) that I need for my new 75G are the powerheads. I'm planning on having softies & LPS...wouldn't mind trying some SPS also...but definitely soft & LPS. Any recommendations of flow and how many and what type of powerheads to go with?

Thanks!
 
2x jabeo rw8 or a sinlge rw15 would do great in that tank. personally I prefer 2 powerheads and 2 rw8 would do great.
 
Do you have experience with the rw8s? It looks like they have gotten pretty good reviews.
Yeah I had a single rw8 in my 75. Was enough for most things but it was maxed out. 2 rw8 would create a much better flow pattern and allow you to keep higher flow corals.
 
Do you have experience with the rw8s? It looks like they have gotten pretty good reviews.


I used 2 rw8 on my 120 and they both broke in a year

I highly suggest looking for 2 used mp40w on this forum. They pop up all the time (because people are upgrading to mp40qd) and you can get 2 for around $400
 
hmm, i ended up selling my rw8 after about a year in a half and i never had an issue. but even if they brake every year as yours did, it would take replacing 5 of them to equal your 2 used and outdated mp40w. so that's not much of an argument IMO.

now, don't get me wrong, the MP series are nice and all, but they are also much more fragile than the rw series due to the split design. they also tend to vibrate themselves off center of their magnet and make a lot of noise, but if you can keep them on center, keep them clean, and not lose any of the ceramic pieces or spacers they are dead silent.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new