Powerheads how much gph

BigD9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one power head slight break the water ( pointing upwards on an angle) and the other is doing the opposite flowing through around the rocks. Its a 65 gallon aquarium, the powerhead is rated 528gph .is that enough turn over?

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the GPH of flow you have that matters as much as it is the quality of the flow, especially if you have corals in the tank too!

OP
OP
B

BigD9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say 40 times turn over? , that's a good rule of thumb?

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2000 they used to say you needed 4 watts per a gallon to keep coral too and we now know that left a lot to be desired. Things like that are a very general and vague and often fail to take into account many other variables in the equation. Again, it comes down to "Do you want quality or do you just want quantity regarding flow/price" for your tank?

By the way I have a 20 gallon thats getting as much flow as your tank (which is 3 x bigger) Is using 2 x Koralia's and their wave maker, not because that was the best route to go but becuase its what I had that would give me the flow I needed until I could do some more research and come up with a better solution for my flow needs.

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with 2100 gph wave maker. It is enough to make sure I don't have any dead spots and keeps my corals and anemone happy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many factors that chasing numbers seems largely pointless. I’ve had tanks where internal flow/surge was 20x and more than enough; others where 40x seemed insufficient. If it looks right chances are it is right.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back