powerheads

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am close to getting my first corals (about 2 months out) and am starting to do my research now. My current tank is a AIO 32.5gal. bowfront tank. Return pump is 214 gph, I also have 1 MP10. My MP10 is currently on the side of the tank (upper middle) to avoid my rock structure from blocking the flow. My rock structure is highest on that side and slowly levels downward to the other side of the tank. My question is, is there benefit to only having 1 powerhead so that the other side of the tank does not get as much flow for certain corals and/or dead spots. Or would it be more beneficial to purchase another MP10 and sync them? It's such a small tank I do not know if 2 MP10's would be overkill or not. Also, I know certain corals require less flow than others so I'm wondering if only having 1 powerhead could be beneficial or if that is null and void by having 2 and sync them so they alternate? Please advise

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with 2 power heads. Dead spots are the enemy. And as far as low flow corals go I think that is usually exaggerated. Other than the pickiest of corals low flow doesnt seem to be needed imo. I place corals where I want them, not according to flow, and they thrive...

OP
OP
AirIck

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with 2 power heads. Dead spots are the enemy. And as far as low flow corals go I think that is usually exaggerated. Other than the pickiest of corals low flow doesnt seem to be needed imo. I place corals where I want them, not according to flow, and they thrive...
Speaking on that...should I be concerned that my stock pump is only 214gph? I have read another thread on here about my specific tank and some “upgraded” to a sicce 1.5 that has 387 gph. Should that be upgraded for corals or is a slower pump a benefit to allow more time for water to filter through media?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about replacing the stock pump right now. If you decide you need more flow down the road go for the upgrade but it isn't all that necessary

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back