PPE with green specks Ebay sucks

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my quest to actually get something from ebay that is represented correctly this is my latest purchase. Sold to me as "True PPE'S" but when they opened they have a very prominent green speckling that of course was not in the convenient bad picture.

Any of yours have this? for the only thing I have to compare them to is my last PPE purchase from ebay. Yet another bad picture and ended up being smaller than a normal zoa.
ppespeckled.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you possibly get another clearer shot?

looks like PPE's that were exposed to high lighting, hence the speckling.. but then again, they might be stardust PE's...

OP
OP
d.grcich

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is as good as my camers gets. Your help is apreciated. The last thing I want to do is grow something out and trade it thinking they are something they are not.
saltwater479.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tough call still but I do think they are PPE's.. the best thing to do is just grow them out and see what the new babies look like.. if I remember correctly, if they are PPE's w/ the speckling, the new babies should be solid purple provided they are not exposed to high lighting for them not to develop the speckling..

keep us posted and update us with pic in a month or two... good luck.. :)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they were in a high light area in the tank before you got them.....It is possiable for then to return to thier former selves if you put them in, in-direct lighting. Mine have done great once I got them out of direct lighting and have darkend as well......Keep us posted.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YES those are PPE's that were exposed to high lighting. I have done it before and I have some.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they dont change id be happy to trade you some of mine for some of them there a sweet morph etheir way.

OP
OP
d.grcich

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuck them under my MH lighting to see if I could get a better pic. Thanks reefboy I will keep you in mind if they do not change.
ppepp.jpg

OP
OP
d.grcich

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice anyway... How much did you spend on them?

So much I refuse to tell anyone. I am a zoaholic and I need help bad:sad7: We need some sort of support line so when we see a zoa we gota have no matter the cost someone can talk us down. Or at least a 12 step program.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much I refuse to tell anyone. I am a zoaholic and I need help bad:sad7: We need some sort of support line so when we see a zoa we gota have no matter the cost someone can talk us down. Or at least a 12 step program.

LOL i'm with you there!

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am starting a help line. There is help for you.The 1st step is you need to send me your new ppe's.

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there is a whole lot of speckling going on in that last Pic!

OP
OP
d.grcich

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the same frag from the other side. I emailed the guy I got them from and he said some of his polyps get the green speckling for some reason but not all. So I guess time will tell.

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this new frag you just got, it is hard to say whether or not it is PPE, but it could be. Hopefully it is.

I saw the other frag you got recently with the smaller polyps and they are PPE for sure and just looks like baby polyps that will mature as it grows into a colony. Generally frags that are grown out from 1 or 2 polyps, like yours appear to be, tend to be smaller polyps because they are trying to multiply so fast that they sacrifice individual size for numbers by budding off much of their tissue to create other polyps. This is the case with most zoanthids I have seen. It is probably a survival mechanism of some sort.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back