Help identify this coral.

erkkustomz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm new to reefing and picked up a few coral frags from my LFS. This one was being sold as a assorted frag. I asked the guy what it was and he said a Green something, he couldn't remember. Can anyone help tell me what it is? I have been googling and cant find anything exactly like it. it is a green leaf-like shape, with a few white spikes popping out around the edges. Closest i can find is a green cabbage coral. Sorry for the bad pics. If this doesn't belong here please move to appropriate thread.

20240210_212543.jpg 20240210_212650.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a good or a bad thing. What does shedding do for it?
Shedding is when a coral sheds its outer mucus coating, all leathers will periodically do it, and during shedding corals will take on a glossy appearance and close all polyps, eventually the discarded skin will peel off, and it is a completely normal part of a leather corals life, it is often done when a coral moves to a new environment as part of its acclimation, but also is done to heal/recover from damage or just to grow

OP
OP
E

erkkustomz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a closed up/shedding cabbage coral

Shedding is when a coral sheds its outer mucus coating, all leathers will periodically do it, and during shedding corals will take on a glossy appearance and close all polyps, eventually the discarded skin will peel off, and it is a completely normal part of a leather corals life, it is often done when a coral moves to a new environment as part of its acclimation, but also is done to heal/recover from damage or just to grow
Okay thank you guys very much. I was leaning that way but wasn't sure. I will move to higher flow to help it shed and maybe be a little happier. Be ause I didn't know what it was I didn't know where to place it

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you guys very much. I was leaning that way but wasn't sure. I will move to higher flow to help it shed and maybe be a little happier. Be ause I didn't know what it was I didn't know where to place it
They don't really care where you put them, you can probably keep it where it is

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back