Prazi resistant flukes experience thread

Have you encountered Prazi resistant flukes and did you succeed in eradicating them?

• Nope, never

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Yes and hyposalinity worked

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Yes and fenbendazole worked

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yes and formalin worked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and something else worked

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes, but I was never able to eradicate them

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes which is still about 10x weaker than bath.

Yes, it is. Noga lists this dosage administered once a week for 3 weeks for treatment of nonencysted nematodes in the gastrointestinal testinal tract. That's why I went with the stronger bath dosage for external fluke treatment.

I have heard from others the weaker dosage may be effective used as prolonged immersion against external flukes, but I dont know.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from what i read fishman chemical dose Is in the middle 1gram for 30 gallons every day ? With all the prazi resistance why hasnt this become more standardized ??

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why it's not standardized or why it's not more widely used. I find it easier on The fish, more effective and just as easy to use.

No reason to use praziquantel IMO.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wanted to chime in, it’s much cheaper to buy from this source at $8~ for 3,000 mg/$12~ for 6,000 mg/$20~ for 12,000 mg. I’ve ordered from them in the past to treat hyroids and Fenbendazole did not require a prescription. You’ll need to crush the tablets into a fine powder using the bottom of a spoon though.

I think there’s currently shortages of the drug because of some nonsense with uninsured cancer patients taking it?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in, it’s much cheaper to buy from this source at $8~ for 3,000 mg/$12~ for 6,000 mg/$20~ for 12,000 mg. I’ve ordered from them in the past to treat hyroids and Fenbendazole did not require a prescription. You’ll need to crush the tablets into a fine powder using the bottom of a spoon though.

I think there’s currently shortages of the drug because of some nonsense with uninsured cancer patients taking it?

It is claimed that Pancur and Safe-Guard are only 22% active. (I do not know for sure, as I have never had these products tested.)

If true, two problems:
  1. It throws off the dosage significantly from using 99% pure Fenbendazole. (25mg/gal for the bath; 2.5 mg/gal for prolonged immersion in a QT.)
  2. You must then overdose to achieve the above dosages. But what are the 78% inactive ingredients that you are dosing into the water? :confused:
I can't confirm the others, but I have had Fishman/NFP tested and they are typically between 94-96% pure. As close as you are going to get without a Rx for pharmaceutical grade.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is claimed that Pancur and Safe-Guard are only 22% active. (I do not know for sure, as I have never had these products tested.)

If true, two problems:
  1. It throws off the dosage significantly from using 99% pure Fenbendazole. (25mg/gal for the bath; 2.5 mg/gal for prolonged immersion in a QT.)
  2. You must then overdose to achieve the above dosages. But what are the 78% inactive ingredients that you are dosing into the water? :confused:
I can't confirm the others, but I have had Fishman/NFP tested and they are typically between 94-96% pure. As close as you are going to get without a Rx for pharmaceutical grade.
Doc. How are you using cipro and baytril. ? Baths ??

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If true, two problems:

You're absolutely right, not only does that make Panacur less cost effective, but you'd be dosing unknown fillers as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc. How are you using cipro and baytril. ? Baths ??

1) Ciprofloxacin (Best administered via 1-2 hour bath treatment. Dosage is high: 250mg per gal. Repeat every 24 hours for 7 days. Methylene Blue can be added to increase efficacy.)

2) Enrofloxacin (Most advanced antibiotic approved for use in tropical fish ... Dosage range is 2.5 - 5 mg/L daily for 7 days; can be used both in a QT or as a 5 hour bath treatment. The tricky thing about Enrofloxacin is the 2.5 - 5 mg/L dosage range is actually safe for QT use, but the nitrifying bacteria will also take a hit. So, the primary reason to administer the medication as a 5 hr bath is to spare your biofilter.)

^^ Cipro is a no-go with a QT biofilter, but I am still testing out Enrofloxacin's impact/damage on nitrifying bacteria. Basically, the best/most effective antibiotics seem to kill ALL bacteria - good and bad. ;)

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Ciprofloxacin (Best administered via 1-2 hour bath treatment. Dosage is high: 250mg per gal. Repeat every 24 hours for 7 days. Methylene Blue can be added to increase efficacy.)

2) Enrofloxacin (Most advanced antibiotic approved for use in tropical fish ... Dosage range is 2.5 - 5 mg/L daily for 7 days; can be used both in a QT or as a 5 hour bath treatment. The tricky thing about Enrofloxacin is the 2.5 - 5 mg/L dosage range is actually safe for QT use, but the nitrifying bacteria will also take a hit. So, the primary reason to administer the medication as a 5 hr bath is to spare your biofilter.)

^^ Cipro is a no-go with a QT biofilter, but I am still testing out Enrofloxacin's impact/damage on nitrifying bacteria. Basically, the best/most effective antibiotics seem to kill ALL bacteria - good and bad. ;)
Of course. !!

Marine_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just entered in by searching "prazipro resistance fluke" and i faced the same strain of this...
cupramine 0.5 for a month no use , prazipro double shot 3 days apart no use, these parasites only dropps off when fw dip them..
after fw dip the fish was clear however they came back in 3 days...
I would go for hypo a try
Any one who has ever encountered the same fluke pls your advice..
WechatIMG33.jpeg
totally freak out

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just entered in by searching "prazipro resistance fluke" and i faced the same strain of this...
cupramine 0.5 for a month no use , prazipro double shot 3 days apart no use, these parasites only dropps off when fw dip them..
after fw dip the fish was clear however they came back in 3 days...
I would go for hypo a try
Any one who has ever encountered the same fluke pls your advice..
WechatIMG33.jpeg
totally freak out
Fenbendazole !!!!

LeprechaunReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is. Noga lists this dosage administered once a week for 3 weeks for treatment of nonencysted nematodes in the gastrointestinal testinal tract. That's why I went with the stronger bath dosage for external fluke treatment.

I have heard from others the weaker dosage may be effective used as prolonged immersion against external flukes, but I dont know.
So if I’m understanding this correctly, I would be dosing 129 mg weekly for 3 weeks in a 20 gallon long (actual volume is 17 gallons)? I believe I’m in the “fighting prazi resistant flukes” club as well and want to try using fendendozale like prazi instead of the 12 hour bath.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 2 20gallon tanks you could do formalin baths every 3 days and put the fish into the newly setup 20g tank and repeat for at least 3 treatments

LeprechaunReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 2 20gallon tanks you could do formalin baths every 3 days and put the fish into the newly setup 20g tank and repeat for at least 3 treatments
I don’t want to use formalin. Very curious about implementing fenbendazole at 2.5mg/l over time. I can do a 12 hour bath but it would be a significant inconvenience.

AlpineM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping on the Prazi resistant flukes train. I have gill flukes in my angel DT that also has some shrimp, urchins and crabs. I've done 3 full rounds of Prazi treatment (2-3 doses 4-5 days apart each). The fish always seems to return to normal during the treatment but as soon as I add carbon etc and remove the prazi, boom symptoms are back. I'd rather move the inverts to QT than the fish so I'm looking for the best way to treat the DT. Is hypo or Fenbendazole the best route?

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had prazi resisting flukes in my display. After multiple prazi doses, 4-5 days apart the flukes remained.

what worked for me was 3 doses exactly three days apart. You can’t leave any window for hatchlings to make it through.

it’s worth trying. Worked for me.
sorry i knos this thread is super old just saw this since i have gill fluke problem with my clown but what brand on fenbendazole did you use

Back