Prazipro Dosage Timeline

Jody Owens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish are exhibiting some of the behaviors that are a common sign of flukes such as “coughing” and staying in the flow of a powerhead. I know each system is different and that is why I wanted to verify what I have researched to be accurate.

My system is currently running a UV system along with a Red Sea DC skimmer. With sump, the total system volume is 360 gallons. I am guessing that approximately 120 gallons is made up of equipment, rock and other things. This gives me the dosage of 2 oz or approximately 60ml.

Here is the breakdown of what I was planning:

Day 0: remove all carbon, turn off the UV system and set the skimmer pump to a very low number to aerate the water. Dose 60ml of Prazipro
Day 1: monitor the livestock
Day 2: monitor the livestock
Day 3: monitor the livestock
Day 4: replace the carbon and turn back on the UV
Day 5: monitor the livestock
Day 6: monitor the livestock
Day 7: 25% water change
Day 8: remove carbon, turn of UV system and redose 60ml of PraziPro

I would then repeat day 1-7 again. Should I go ahead and be safe and do a third round or do the first two doses normally work?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My fish are exhibiting some of the behaviors that are a common sign of flukes such as “coughing” and staying in the flow of a powerhead. I know each system is different and that is why I wanted to verify what I have researched to be accurate.

My system is currently running a UV system along with a Red Sea DC skimmer. With sump, the total system volume is 360 gallons. I am guessing that approximately 120 gallons is made up of equipment, rock and other things. This gives me the dosage of 2 oz or approximately 60ml.

Day 0: remove all carbon, turn off the UV system and set the skimmer pump to a very low number to aerate the water. Dose 60ml of Prazipro

I would then repeat day 1-7 again. Should I go ahead and be safe and do a third round or do the first two doses normally work?
To simplify,dose at 85% of recommended dose and allow it to remain in the tank for 8 days, day nine- do a water change and add a dose one more time lasting 8 days
Also add an air stone during treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve found a third treatment may be needed to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes. I use an 8 day retreating cycle, but I’ve heard as short as 5 days and as long as 9.
Be sure to continue running any skimmer, just don’t collect any skimmate. Adding aeration is a good idea.
You may be overestimating displacement by the rock and equipment. I usually tell people to subtract 15% for that, 20% if there is a lot of rock. You also need to figure if the tank manufacturer inflated their tank volume. Check this by multiplying the inside dimensions in inches, and divide by 231. Measure depth from the top of any substrate to the water’s surface.

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve found a third treatment may be needed to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes. I use an 8 day retreating cycle, but I’ve heard as short as 5 days and as long as 9.
Be sure to continue running any skimmer, just don’t collect any skimmate. Adding aeration is a good idea.
You may be overestimating displacement by the rock and equipment. I usually tell people to subtract 15% for that, 20% if there is a lot of rock. You also need to figure if the tank manufacturer inflated their tank volume. Check this by multiplying the inside dimensions in inches, and divide by 231. Measure depth from the top of any substrate to the water’s surface.
Should I shorten the schedule to something like this:

Day 1-3: monitor
Day 5-6: monitor
Day 7: 25% water change, remove carbon, turn of UV system and redose 60ml of PraziPro

I do have a lot of rock. I also know that Marineland did somewhat inflate the water volume slightly. That is why I was going to reduce the dosing amount by 1/3. I will probably lower that to the 25% number to accommodate all of the rock, dimension delta, etc. I will also add in a third dose to be safe.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I shorten the schedule to something like this:

Day 1-3: monitor
Day 5-6: monitor
Day 7: 25% water change, remove carbon, turn of UV system and redose 60ml of PraziPro

I do have a lot of rock. I also know that Marineland did somewhat inflate the water volume slightly. That is why I was going to reduce the dosing amount by 1/3. I will probably lower that to the 25% number to accommodate all of the rock, dimension delta, etc. I will also add in a third dose to be safe.

I would add an extra air stone though. Virtually all issues we see with prazipro is due to low oxygen levels. Sin dissolved oxygen isn't something that can easily be measured, it is best to err on the side of caution.

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would add an extra air stone though. Virtually all issues we see with prazipro is due to low oxygen levels. Sin dissolved oxygen isn't something that can easily be measured, it is best to err on the side of caution.
I am all for going the extra mile for as something as simple as that. I am even ordering a reactor to replace the carbon just sitting in the sump. This way I can make sure to get things removed. I am also doing a dual reactor and placing a sediment filter in the first section.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back