Prazipro or GC for Lunar Wrasse

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a lunar wrasse at the LFS today. I noticed him scraping his gills on the rock in the DT at the LFS. I do QT's so I figured I could get rid of the flukes with either Prazipro or GC, I have both. I am wondering which I should use in the QT. I have read that wrasses have some issues with prazi and so I could not use a standard Prazipro 2.5ppm dosage. Do they do better with GC? Or should I try to adjust down the doseage for Prazipro? I wanted to qt with CopperPower and GC. Start CP day 1, GC day 3 then GC again 7 days later. Total time with CP 15 days followed by 15 days observation. Or since I did see him scraping his gills on the rock do I want to do longer total qt?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I picked up a lunar wrasse at the LFS today. I noticed him scraping his gills on the rock in the DT at the LFS. I do QT's so I figured I could get rid of the flukes with either Prazipro or GC, I have both. I am wondering which I should use in the QT. I have read that wrasses have some issues with prazi and so I could not use a standard Prazipro 2.5ppm dosage. Do they do better with GC? Or should I try to adjust down the doseage for Prazipro? I wanted to qt with CopperPower and GC. Start CP day 1, GC day 3 then GC again 7 days later. Total time with CP 15 days followed by 15 days observation. Or since I did see him scraping his gills on the rock do I want to do longer total qt?
general cure most effective with parasites. Prazi is best for flukes and 2.5 pertains to chelated copper and not Praziquantel. Its is one teaspoon per 20 useable gallons. To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I am using GC then and 1 packet treats a 10g qt should I mix the GC in like 1lt of tank water then remove 250ml then add to qt?

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with prazi Pro I thought 1tsp per 20g = apx 2.5ppm.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, General Cure contains metronidazole and praziquantel, both in powder form. Getting powdered prazi to dissolve in water can be difficult. PraziPro is liquid with the praziquantel dissolved in a carrier. So, either method will give you prazi to fight flukes. I prefer to use the premixed liquid prazi for simplicity and dosage control.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer not to run copper and prazi at the same time, it just compounds the stress. It can be done though.
Wrasse are not directly sensitive to prazi, but they are sensitive to the low dissolved oxygen that goes sling with prazi treatments. Just be sure to have good aeration (not just circulation).

Jay

Back