Prazipro protocol!?

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

i am treating external parasites flukes on my tangs, last tuesday I started on a dose of prazipro and put in a diatom filter! The filter has already been washed twice and reloaded with new diatom powder! To avoid any outbreak of bacteria! I also took the cup off my protein skimmer and left it running letting the water overflow (it still foams a lot) and i turned off my uv filter.
When should I add the prazipro second dose? The next Tuesday? Should I do a water change or use charcoal between one and the other?
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone!

i am treating external parasites flukes on my tangs, last tuesday I started on a dose of prazipro and put in a diatom filter! The filter has already been washed twice and reloaded with new diatom powder! To avoid any outbreak of bacteria! I also took the cup off my protein skimmer and left it running letting the water overflow (it still foams a lot) and i turned off my uv filter.
When should I add the prazipro second dose? The next Tuesday? Should I do a water change or use charcoal between one and the other?
Thank you
Typical regimen is To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Thank you
I space Prazipro at 8 or 9 days with a 25% partial change before the second treatment. If I’m treating Neobenenia flukes (the large ones) I’ll dose a third time.
Not sure the reason for the diatom filter, do you have a particular reason to use that?
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone!

Thank you
A diatom filter will not remove bacteria - as to the prazipro. agree follow the usual Protocol here

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter will not remove bacteria - as to the prazipro. agree follow the usual Protocol here
believe me that yes, this type of filter does eliminate it! I have done it for years! It is a filter for temporary non-permanent use. Do a little more research and you'll find out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
believe me that yes, this type of filter does eliminate it! I have done it for years! It is a filter for temporary non-permanent use. Do a little more research and you'll find out.
Well - I believe you think it does. It does not. I have one myself. It does not remove 'all bacteria'. And the reproduction rate of bacteria - some with. doubling time of minutes. guarantees that the filter cannot remove all bacteria.. If you want people to believe that you have removed bacteria from your tank 'for years - for the benefit of everyone me included. post it

EDIT. a diatom filter will remove SOME bacteria. and it will remove SOME parasites if depends on flow rate - and the concentration of bacteria/parasites present. IMHO much like UV it is not a miracle cure for anything

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - I believe you think it does. It does not. I have one myself. It does not remove 'all bacteria'. And the reproduction rate of bacteria - some with. doubling time of minutes. guarantees that the filter cannot remove all bacteria.. If you want people to believe that you have removed bacteria from your tank 'for years - for the benefit of everyone me included. post it

EDIT. a diatom filter will remove SOME bacteria. and it will remove SOME parasites if depends on flow rate - and the concentration of bacteria/parasites present. IMHO much like UV it is not a miracle cure for anything
It is my personal experience, you ask me and I answer you, it has worked perfectly for me for a bacteria bloom, leaving the water crystal clear, without using UV, I don't know why you feel attacked!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're both right: diatom filters don't remove bacteria directly, but they can remove organic clumps that have bacteria living on them, this is turn clarifies the water.

My concern is that Prazipro isn't soluble in water (that's why they use glycol as a solvent). When it hits the tank water, it becomes a fine suspension (you can see that happen if you look closely as you add it). I don't know if the particles in the suspension are large enough to be removed by a diatom filter or not.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is my personal experience, you ask me and I answer you, it has worked perfectly for me for a bacteria bloom, leaving the water crystal clear, without using UV, I don't know why you feel attacked!
This is where I thought you were - perhaps not attacking me - but criticizing me: "Do a little more research and you'll find out." And when I answered the question - it wasn't meant to be an answer only to you - but a general comment to others who are wanting a way to 'sterilize' their tanks so to speak. I.e. remove mycobacteria, vibrio, etc. Though you mentioned a bacterial bloom (preventing) - you also mentioned using the diatom filter to prevent secondary bacterial infection - which IMHO - it will not do.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect,
everyone lives their own experiences and everyone uses what works for them, not necessarily what works for one will work for another, that is clear to me.
I am not trying to make someone use it or stop using it, it is simply my experience and in I have seen several articles on the Internet where they comment that the diatom filter is capable of trapping bacteria due to its size in microns of filtration... that's all it works for me and that's it...

thanks

jocbo91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical regimen is To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Is this for a mixed reef with sps?

jocbo91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for a mixed reef with acropora ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back